Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i agree it's best to err on the side of caution, especially where the Windows Registry is concerned. CCleaner, however, is about the safest cleanup/tuneup tool i've ever come across. At home, we've been using CCleaner for many years on our Windows XP machines, then Windows 7, and now Windows 8/8.1. Both PCs and laptops have benefitted from using CCleaner. Also, i can't count how many times various friends have asked me to check their computer which was "running slow" or was "messed up" or "takes forever to boot up". Invariably, running CCleaner's main cleaner, followed by the CCleaner Registry cleaner, followed by a defrag produced a major improvement in how their systems ran. Of course, some needed attention to viruses, malware, etc. using different tools. But CCleaner itself is about as safe a system cleaner as you're likely to find. Other more aggressive tools, particularly other registry cleaners, always seem to delete something that "breaks" an installed program or causes hiccups in how Windows works. So, by all means err on the side of caution and trust CCleaner to be a prudent cleaning tool.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

VWDRV1 (2014-02-21)

Thanks
    I used to recommend Revo Uninstaller until I read in Kim Komando's Newsletter about Geek Uninstaller .

This program is free. It doesn't really act like an installed program, and it is portable. Geek Uninstaller can do Forced Uninstalls and works on 64-bit programs. You can use it from a Flash Drive or just let it sit on your desktop. It doesn't work with Windows 8 Metro style Apps. Geek Uninstaller does as good a job of Registry cleanup as Revo, if not better, as it can clean up 64-bit Registry areas.
    -- Bob Primak --

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

VWDRV1 (2014-02-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi VWDRV1, these are the settings I use & have never had a problem.
    I DO check the MUI Cache box on the Registry Cleaner dialog box. I allow it to be cleaned since the MUI for some reason prevents my getting into some of my WordPerfect and QuattroPro documents. I believe that Windows (I use Vista) locks the files as "open" when in fact they are just listed in the MUI. I may be wrong, but that is the conclusion that I have reached, and it works for me.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-02-22 at 17:44. Reason: Added end Quote tag.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lien For This Useful Post:

VWDRV1 (2014-02-23)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lien View Post
    I DO check the MUI Cache box on the Registry Cleaner dialog box. I allow it to be cleaned since the MUI for some reason prevents my getting into some of my WordPerfect and QuattroPro documents. I believe that Windows (I use Vista) locks the files as "open" when in fact they are just listed in the MUI. I may be wrong, but that is the conclusion that I have reached, and it works for me.
    What works for you may not work for the thread starter as it depends on how each individual's pc is set up & installed.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

VWDRV1 (2014-02-23)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's why we need to keep our PC simple. My friend has a lot of programs in his PC, CCleaner simply obliterates his registry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123