New Lounger
    Thanks

Looking for an easy maintenance solution to recommend (eFix maybe?)

My son has an 8 year old HP laptop that is slow to start up and has some performance issues. It was always slow to start up but that's probably easily fixed. Unfortunately that's all I know about the symptoms. He's not one to do a lot of diagnostics.

I noticed an ad on Windows Secrets for eFix which costs $70 and might help with his laptop issues. Also they provide phone backup support + will even login to your system remotely to fix problems.

Best Buy Geek squad would set him back $200 for a 1year contract -- not worth it for an 8 year old laptop.

Does eFix sound like a good way to go? Anyone had experience with eFix?

Thanks
    Has the laptop had any hardware upgrades...specifically the RAM? What OS are you running?

I've never heard of eFix and further more I wouldn't trust it with out doing some research on it first. Asking here is a good start.

I would start with an AV full scan in safemode. Then run Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spybot S&D and TDDSKiller....doing full scans of each. The run Auslogics disk defragger. You should see a significant improvement in the performance area. Then check for any programs that you haven't used in the last year and delete them.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bassfisher, the laptop is running Windows 7. No hardware upgrades were done. I would do some of the stuff you mentioned too but ...my son is just looking for an easy way to deal with this. I think he wants some hand holding hence the thought of using eFix or another service.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    To address your primary question
    You are wondering about using eFix.
    My answer: I do not have experience with eFix so I cannot say whether or not that’s a good idea and I agree with Bassfisher
    IMHO save the $70.00 - $200.00 & take care of it himself and it sounds like you are willing to help him out if you can. Looking for an easy maintenance solution is a mixed bag between cost and DIY

Here is a summary of how I perceive the issues
    --- The computer is an 8 year old HP laptop running Windows 7
    --- It’s slow to start up and has some performance issues
    --- It was always slow to start up but that's probably easily fixed
    --- Your son is not one to do a lot of diagnostics

So may I propose the following
    If your son is not one to do a lot of diagnostics
    --- When it comes to computers, “diagnostics” come into the picture and some people do not want to get into it and I understand that. However, my opening comments addresses that
    --- Personally I feel it’s worth taking the time to at least learn how to keep a computer well maintained and protected otherwise chances are problems will continue to re-occur and continue to cost more and/or frustration levels kick in

On the computer is an 8 year old HP laptop running Windows 7
    --- That means that the original OS wasn’t Windows 7 and most likely was upgraded from the original OS
    Please post the following information
    Computer make/model, original OS & version, whether it’s a 32-bit or 64-bit system, processor, how much installed memory, size of the hard drive, the Windows 7 version presently on the computer
    --- Then we can make recommendations to address the start-up and performance issues based on whether or not the DIY approach is reasonable in your case

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    ...(snip)...
    So may I propose the following
    If your son is not one to do a lot of diagnostics
    --- When it comes to computers, “diagnostics” come into the picture and some people do not want to get into it and I understand that. However, my opening comments addresses that
    --- Personally I feel it’s worth taking the time to at least learn how to keep a computer well maintained and protected otherwise chances are problems will continue to re-occur and continue to cost more and/or frustration levels kick in
    Hi cmptrgy, sounds fair enough. I'll have to contact him and get him to become somewhat involved so I can answer the tech questions you posed below.
    On the computer is an 8 year old HP laptop running Windows 7
    --- That means that the original OS wasn’t Windows 7 and most likely was upgraded from the original OS
    Please post the following information
    Computer make/model, original OS & version, whether it’s a 32-bit or 64-bit system, processor, how much installed memory, size of the hard drive, the Windows 7 version presently on the computer
    --- Then we can make recommendations to address the start-up and performance issues based on whether or not the DIY approach is reasonable in your case
    May take me a day or so until I gather the necessary information. Hope you can bear with me. Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When talking with your son, see if he's willing to run the programs Bassfisher has recommended or at least one or two of them

Thanks
    lsbcal...you could fix it for him remotely using Teamviewer. It has to be installed on both PC's and is very simple and easy to use. In this manner you could download/install all said software and run them for him. I use it all the time to help out family and friends that are not local to me or that cant drop of their PC to me.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    When talking with your son, see if he's willing to run the programs Bassfisher has recommended or at least one or two of them
    I talked with my son as he was driving to work (he's in another city) and he was interested in running some of those programs. He didn't think he could get to it until Monday though.

Teamviewer sounds neat but I'm trying to take a backseat in this effort and want him to do the heavy lifting.

Regarding the computer details, I recall it was originally running Windows Vista and was upgraded using the Windows 7 upgrade discs. It is an HP laptop, 17 inch (I think). I'll get more details as he frees up time.

I will try to help him to run what Bassfisher recommended:
    I would start with an AV full scan in safemode. Then run Ccleaner, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spybot S&D and TDDSKiller....doing full scans of each. The run Auslogics disk defragger. You should see a significant improvement in the performance area. Then check for any programs that you haven't used in the last year and delete them.
    Thanks for the help so far and for being patient.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update
    Bassfisher has already asked about RAM and I'm also interested in knowing about it also
    One of the specs I requested in my list is how much memory installed
    --- The reason is because after 8 years of usage the computer can become bogged down and become even slower and have performance issues if there is only a "minimal" amount of memory installed
    --- If the system is 32-bit, Windows 7 calls for a minimum 1GB RAM but all you get out of that is minimal performance
    --- Recommendations usually are at least 2GB RAM, I prefer 4GB RAM

Bassfisher I keep thinking I should use TeamViewer myself as I believe that's an excellent idea
    --- In my case I'm still using XP and I will be replacing it
    --- So at that time if I want to install TeamViewer are there any drawbacks to doing so even if I don't have anyone else to work with at that time?
    --- I'd want to talk the non-profit organization I volunteer at to allow that to happen
    --- So I figure if I install it, learn how to use it from my end, then get them involved but I don't look like a dummy trying to help them out
    --- I have no problem with hands-on help as they are not involved in figuring out with how things are done but they don't want to