Thanks

Virus infects some Linksys routers

Hey Y'all,

Read about it here.

Temporary Fixes:
    Linksys.JPG

Generally for home routers Remote Administration should be turned off as a good security practice IMHO.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Damn...I have the E4200 series but I haven't used it in years. Thanks for the heads up! I wish the article went into detail about the firmware for each model that would remove them from the list.

Thanks
    B.F.,

If you enter your router firmware there should be a button to check for Firmware Updates.
    Linksys.JPG
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I don't use it...it's not compatible with my DSL setup...other wise I'd use the crap out of it. I wonder if I can update the firmware with out having to set up the router. Or can I connect it to another PC in my home and update the firmware that way?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This particular vulnerability is that the admin verification/authentication is missing through that particular 'entry way'.
    Not sure other routers, or other Linkysys models, have this vulnerability. As the link says, disable remote admin access, and/or change the access port number will stop this.

Seems all routers allow remote administration (default as well), even allowing via wifi. That means 'roadside hacking' (park a car outside) is possible.

I disable wifi admin access. Also disable remote access. That way, only wire connected PC can do administrative work/modification. To further the security, I disable SSID Broadcasting, this avoids vulnerability re one-button-connect (WPA: Wifi Protected Access).

Allowing only wired connected PC to do router administrative work is an inconvenience. You can do it indirectly if needed: by using remote desktop, such as MS Remote Desktop, VNC, TeamViewer, LogMeIn, etc.
    Be careful, one mistake and the router locks you out. Now you really have to drive/fly there to fix it!