Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with permissions tab

I seem to have a problem with permission tab on file properties. As you can see from the attached pic, the tab has no name and the permissions show as 'unknown'. Any ideas how this has happened and how to fix it . Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you run a malware scan?

Have you run sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe. run a malware scan every week. Will try sfc /scannow and post back. Thanks for the help.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe. Ran sfc /scannrow as suggested. Came back with 'SFC /scannow found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them'. I looked at the log, but do not really know what I am looking for

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Sometimes an anti-virus solution will interfere with SFC. Can you run it in safe mode?

If this is a recent issue, have you tried a system restore back to a time when it was working?

If you can't get SFC to run and can't run a system restore, you may be faced with repairing your Windows 7 installation. Make sure your data is backed up. Then see How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7 for instructions.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe. Just run CHKDSK /r (6 hours to run) and issue still the same. I'm now beginning to wonder whether this is an issue at all. I'm the only one that uses this machine, so does it really matter that I have ths issue? Is there anything I need to worry about with this? I'm extremely grateful for your help and advice, but am I worried about nothing at all? My installation is an OEM installation, so I think a re-install is out of the question. I'm thinking that I may have to live with this.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wondering if anyone has any other thoughts on this. I've done everything that has been suggested (except repair install) and the problem(?) remains. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    The sfc log can be quite large. What you're looking for are failures listed in the log. It will give you file name and path. You can run sfc /scannow more that once. There are times when multiple runs can get the job done.

Do you have this "Permissions" issue with all files, or just some?

Have you tried a System Restore?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

hubyster (2014-05-25)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your time. I've run sfc /scannow three or four times now, but will run it again, now I know what I'm looking for. The issue is with all files and I am not sure when the problem first occurred as I only noticed it it February this year. I did a system restore then and it did not change anything.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A further run of sfc /scannow does not seem to show any 'files' that are failed.

Thanks
    Check the Properties for the entire drive to see if it looks the same.

Also, what shows when you select a different user in the top panel? Your image is showing permissions for SYSTEM.

One more thing; that's actually the Security tab.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-05-25 at 08:47.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just looked and it isthe same as all the other files