New Lounger
    Thanks

Documents - Default Opening in Word

I am not real sure if this is a Windows issue or a Word issue. Using Win 8.1

OK, I am not at all sure what has happened to my computer in the last couple of days but something is going on.

First of all a few weeks ago I upgraded from Win 8 to 8.1 - no real issues that I am aware of but for some reason when I
    click on explorer - I now have in the list of options something new - Skydrive. Additionally, I now have a new line saying something like "This PC" under this are listed my libraries and then at the bottom of the libraries is "Local Disk C."

Now comes the rub - something happened in the last day or two and I have no idea what - - When I open MS Word 2010 - I get a blank page - I click open at the top and I get another blank screen with the libraries and so forth on the left side of the screen - but now the "Skydrive" is highlighted. I have never used Skydrive. I have to physically click on documents to access them. Anyone know how this happened? Actually what I really want to know is how to get back to skipping the Skydrive icon and just going straight to "Documents" when I click the open button in word. I checked Excel - when I open it, I get a blank page, I then hit the Open Icon at the top of the screen and it opens the Local Disk C. Even this is preferable over the Skydrive.
    Thanks
    Randall

Thanks
    "This PC" is the Windows 8.1 name for "Computer".

I am guessing that you have a Microsoft account, not a local account, for logging into Windows. That would likely explain why it is now looking on SkyDrive for documents. With Office 2013, the default location for documents is SkyDrive. My guess is that, since Microsoft is moving things in the direction of the cloud (i.e. SkyDrive), your MyDocuments folder is now on your SkyDrive.

I know that you have Office 2010, not 2013. I used the example of Office 2013 to illustrate that that is where things are headed.

It's probably really easy to change the default location in Word, Excel, etc., back to whatever folder you want. That's probably all you need to do.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Randall2626 (2014-02-15)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

Randall2626 (2014-02-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting information. In looking at this, I am now not real sure what I am going to do. I went to the site referenced by Rich and read a couple of other sites dealing with Skydrive. Unfortunately, my computer does not seem to be doing things in the exact same manner - my screens are different from the examples illustrated. I just hate my computer doing things without me telling it to do so!!!! Thanks for the assistance and leads.