New Lounger
    Thanks

Transfer of Office 7 to new build

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Office 7 preinstalled. I have a Product ID of 19 letters. I would like to get the product KEY of 25 letters so I can download a copy to my new build. I refer April 08 2012 of this site.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyhc View Post
    I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Office 7 preinstalled. I have a Product ID of 19 letters. I would like to get the product KEY of 25 letters so I can download a copy to my new build. I refer April 08 2012 of this site.
    In that case, your license does not permit you to transfer the product to another PC; doing so would be illegal (i.e. software piracy) and, even if you were to install Office on the new PC you're liable to find the activation being refused.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    This may seem unfair, but it is a case of you get what you pay for. When you originally purchased the software license with you laptop, Toshiba was able to include the software at a lower price because of this license limitation.

Many of us have decided that it is worth it to pay more up front to allow for transfer. Others have decided that when they get a new computer they will probably get a different version of the software, anyway, and so are happy to save the money up front.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's good to know. Thanks for the info. On the same thread, I have two versions of Office 7 that I had previously installed on my old "XP" build. I installed one and then the other and both worked but looked "primitive" , sort of unfinished like some designer had not finished the background. The ribbon had all the features but no color. Another site said that it looked like it was Office 7 for XP and not Win 7. Any thoughts on this? My new build is Win 7. Can such an installation be made to run on Win 7 and look right?

Thanks
    If you mean Office 2007, then it should work and look the same on Win7 as it did on XP. Have you registered the software? Can you change the way it looks by clicking the Office orb (upper left), then options and changing the color scheme?

If this doesn't help you, a screenshot will help us.

Best, Kim

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyhc View Post
    I have two versions of Office 7 that I had previously installed on my old "XP" build. I installed one and then the other and both worked but looked "primitive" , sort of unfinished like some designer had not finished the background. The ribbon had all the features but no color. Another site said that it looked like it was Office 7 for XP and not Win 7. Any thoughts on this? My new build is Win 7. Can such an installation be made to run on Win 7 and look right?
    There is no such thing as "Office 7 for XP"; other than the Mac versions, all Office versions are the same, regardless of which version of Windows you're running them on; the only differences are between the editions within each version (i.e. Professional, Home & Student, etc). Thus you cannot have had "two versions of Office 7 that I had previously installed on my old "XP" build". Maybe you had Office 2007 & 2010. As for the appearance, how Office displays depends on a combination of operating system and hardware. Windows XP, for example, doesn't give the same graphics experience as Windows Vista & later are capable of; screen resolution and window size will also affect the appearance.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Capture.GIFscreen shot Office 7.GIF Here is a screen shot of what I am talking about. Office 2010 is not part of the conversation.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Your attachment doesn't show anything other than the kind of de-coloration that might result from tinkering around with the Office color scheme and/or the Windows color settings. And, regardless of whether "Office 2010 is not part of the conversation", I repeat my earlier advice that you cannot have had "two versions of Office 7" installed on the same PC.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    To illustrate macropod's post, I am able to go from this:

Normal.png

To this:

HCWhite.png

By changing Windows 7 display to High Contrast White. (Win 7, Word 2010)

Best, Kim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Kim, Thanks for the response. The difference between my screen shot and yours seems to be the narrow band at the top of the page. Mine is blue yours is black. What I think is that mine is stuck on the color choice of silver, in word options.. It won't change from silver to blue or black. Most of the features work. I have my laptop next to my desktop, so I can compare. It seems like there is something simple to do to make this work.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Kim, in addition to the above. I had my monitor at high contrast at the start of all this and have turned it down to about 60% which seems good to me. It made no affect to my word problem. In the interest of completeness, I loaded the Office suite with a disk. It failed the first time, and produced "Error 1333 Home SrWW CAB corrupt." So I changed my optical drive and it uploaded with out a hitch except the problem. The suite is registered and has the proper product key. The build is ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard and an Intel Core i5 3450 CPU. It has serious gaming potential. However, I want this for a general use computer rather than a dedicated gaming computer. Hence, the office suite.

Thanks
    Hi daddyhc,

The difference between my screen shot and yours seems to be the narrow band at the top of the page. Mine is blue yours is black.
    I can make the top band blue, too. I right-clicked the desktop, clicked Personalize, then scrolled to the bottom (Basic and High Contract Themes). I then chose High Contrast White. Once it was set, I clicked on Window Color (one of four large icons at the bottom of the window below the theme names) and changed the title bar to blue. High contrast really only refers to the colors chosen for that theme -- they contrast with each other, making it easier to see the difference between the elements.

HC w Blue bar.png

I had my monitor at high contrast at the start of all this and have turned it down to about 60% which seems good to me. It made no affect to my word problem.
    And it shouldn't. Monitor contrast shouldn't be a factor to this problem -- it's more like adjusting the contrast on your TV. And yes, one could theoretically adjust the contrast so a picture is practically black and white, but it's really unlikely in this case, especially since you see blue in the title bar.

By the way, if you're in a Windows Basic or High Contrast mode, changing from silver to another color doesn't make any difference -- at least not on my computer. You might try switching to a Windows Aero theme just to see if it makes a difference.

Best, Kim

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I am closing this thread. All this discussion of how to go about transferring a pre-installed copy of Office to another PC is a discussion of how to pirate software. Such behaviour cannot be condoned. Be warned: persist and be banned.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]