Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds like a factory reset which is good if it everything had worked, but you could put the new HDD back in and run http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-...e-application/ to see if it will also repair IE on that and also check to see if a sfc /scannow will complete.

I don't think the system images would work on the new HDD so you may have to manually copy all of your personal files from the old HDD to the external HDD.

If you have stuff in your Docs folder then create a new Docs folder on the external HDD then drag & drop the files into that and the same for your Downloads folder, then drag & drop anything else out of their respective folders to the external HDD and then it's a drag & drop to put them onto the new HDD back into their respective folders when that's refitted.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, I meant to say a System Recovery Disc. My bad. That is what I used, not a System Repair Disc. Does that make more sense now? It came installed on my computer as a separate partition on this Old HDD. Yes, you are right; I did loose all my documents and programs but I used the restore that I saved on my External HDD to restore them. I hope this is starting to make more sense to everyone now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    The System Repair Disc does not clean install Windows, if by this disc you mean a disc created by Windows to allow you to recover when the OS is unable to boot or has other problems. If this is a manufacturer provided disc that restores the computer to its factory state, then the situations is different, but you would have lost all your documents and programs and you would have noticed it.

A non destructive repair install means running Windows setup from within Windows and requires a Windows installation disc.
    Last edited by allen642; 2014-02-17 at 13:34.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Yes that makes it more clear, but I confess to being lost about where you are in the process, that is, the state of the old and new HDDs.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, I meant to say System Recovery Disc. I went back to my original 1st post and edited that to read System Recovery Disc instead of System Repair. I already apologized to Sudo15 for the mixup. I'm sure this will help to clear this up for everyone. My bad.
    The System Repair Disc does not clean install Windows, if by this disc you mean a disc created by Windows to allow you to recover when the OS is unable to boot or has other problems. If this is a manufacturer provided disc that restores the computer to its factory state, then the situations is different, but you would have lost all your documents and programs and you would have noticed it.

A non destructive repair install means running Windows setup from within Windows and requires a Windows installation disc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, let me see. Kudos to Sudo15. Everything is now working on this Old HDD except the sfc /scannow. I have run that a few times, in and out of Safe Mode. Results are:
    C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 19% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

So I guess you could say the Old HDD is working like it should, minus the sfc /scannow.

The NEW HDD, which is yet to be reinstalled on my computer; the last state I remember it being in when I took it out (5 days ago) was; I used my System Recovery Disc (3), that I had cut to DVD-R when I first received the computer in 2010. I went through the whole process with the System Recovery Disc, and as it turned out Windows 7 worked, but I couldn't get IE to work, so in turn Windows Update wouldn't work. Windows 7 was working fine. That's where we are on that. What other information do you need? Before I change the HDD's out what backups do I need to do to my External HDD so I have the info for the NEW HDD when it's installed; and how to install the info back to the NEW HDD from the External HDD, and when. Does that make any sense?? If not, please elaborate.
    Yes that makes it more clear, but I confess to being lost about where you are in the process, that is, the state of the old and new HDDs.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Go back to my Post#31 regarding backing up but you need to check if Win 7 is fully functional on the new HDD first with the suggestions I've also made regarding that.

A System Recovery Disc would take you into what is known as the Recovery Environment as you would get by tapping F8 as you switch on and select Repair your Computer.

One of the repair options with an OEM machine would be something like HDD Reset and is usually the last option in the list, because it usually is the last resort.

Is that how you were navigated when using the System Recovery Disc ?

Just re-read your Post#32 and the System Image restored that time but not when you tried it later ??
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-17 at 17:30.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123