Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've come across two 3rd party IE repair programs which may help, but with one you would need to uninstall IE 10 as it only works on up to IE 9 and as always, create a restore point before running any 3rd party fixit programs.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...fix-ie-utility

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-...e-application/

The other option that I've already suggested is to restore the old HDD with the latest system image from the external HDD as IE was working in that volume and if that resolves, then you can re-clone to use your new HDD.

If whichever option you choose restores IE then upgrade to IE 11 as there's another Zero Day bug going about for IE 10 http://blog.malwarebytes.org/exploit...geted-attacks/ for which MS has yet to release a security patch.

The chkdsk /r seems to have given your old HDD a clean bill of health but it can be given a more robust test with Seatools for DOS which includes audio testing to identify any noises the HDD is making, if you want to run that and can you run sfc /scannow again to see if it will complete now ?

Seatools is run from a bootable disk for which you can use Imgburn to create.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...oads/seatools/

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/...0&ssid=0&did=1

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right now I am busy with the 1st of the 3 system image restore points and this one has been running for about 1:40 minutes. There does seems to be something happening as my external HDD is blinking slowly and it is normally a steady light. I will run this for as long as it takes to restore back to this point, then I will report back if anything changed or not. Thank you for being so patient with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've come across two 3rd party IE repair programs which may help, but with one you would need to uninstall IE 10 as it only works on up to IE 9 and as always, create a restore point before running any 3rd party fixit programs.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair...fix-ie-utility

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tr-...e-application/

The other option that I've already suggested is to restore the old HDD with the latest system image from the external HDD as IE was working in that volume and if that resolves, then you can re-clone to use your new HDD.

If whichever option you choose restores IE then upgrade to IE 11 as there's another Zero Day bug going about for IE 10 http://blog.malwarebytes.org/exploit...geted-attacks/ for which MS has yet to release a security patch.

The chkdsk /r seems to have given your old HDD a clean bill of health but it can be given a more robust test with Seatools for DOS which includes audio testing to identify any noises the HDD is making, if you want to run that and can you run sfc /scannow again to see if it will complete now ?

Seatools is run from a bootable disk for which you can use Imgburn to create.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...oads/seatools/

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/...0&ssid=0&did=1

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    While I also use an external HDD for my system images, I've never had to restore with them yet so can't say how long would be normal, although this would depend upon what is on the computer.

Did you try any of those 3rd party programs to see if they would fix IE ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I got tired of waiting for the restore from my External HDD, as it had already ran for 4:40 minutes and I should think that is waaaayyyy too long. I have never run one before either, but went on the internet and some said it only took about 30 - 60 minutes on Win7. I may try to run it over night if nothing else works.

No, I haven't yet tried any of the 3rd party programs yet; right now I am running Seatools Long Test, then I will run the sfc /scannow again. Just the first of many things am planning. LOL.
    While I also use an external HDD for my system images, I've never had to restore with them yet so can't say how long would be normal, although this would depend upon what is on the computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Seatools and sfc /scannow just finished running and here's the results:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 20% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

So it didn't really work. Will try something else.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did try The free Anvi Browser Repair Tool that you sent and it did work to repair IE. Now that it's up and running I have run CCleaner and Malwarebytes to check everything out, and I did download the IE11 update that I received, and it seems to be working good, even though my computer was performing slower. I have rebooted a few times and it seems to be doing better now.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Is there anything else that I haven't thought of before I change out the HDD's?

Now that it seems to be working better should I try to change out the HDD? How would that whole process work? I will be using EaseUS Todo Backup if you think that will work out fine. I thing I have an idea how it works: First I would open EaseUS Todo Backup and do a System Backup and probably a File Backup also, or is that one-in-the same? Then I would go into the Clone section and do a Disk Clone of this Old HDD; the I would change out the HHD's; then using EaseUS Todo Backup again to put the Clone on the new HDD; I'm not really sure of that procedure. Can you help with that? I don't know what else I'm forgetting. Oh, and those System Images that I tried, they didn't work at all, so I can't use them.

Last edited by allen642; 2014-02-17 at 00:44.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It's great news that IE is now working but I don't think it's ready to be transferred yet as the sfc /scannow still failed and did the Long Test report any faults for the HDD ?

It could be that you may need to do a clean install of Win 7 onto the new HDD then reinstall any programs/backed up files, but see if the sfc /scannow will complete in Safe Mode.

With a system image you cannot be selective with what you want to restore so you would have to manually drag & drop any personal files onto the external HDD and make a list of the programs that you will want to reinstall, but it's also concerning that the system images didn't take either although sometimes a factory reset can also fail and that can be indicative of a failing HDD.

It's also advised to back up your drivers folders as well before doing a clean install so that you can drop those back into System32.

The drivers folders can be found in Windows(C)/Windows/System32 and there are three of them.

For any paid for programs product keys and your Win 7 product key, Belarc Advisor will list all of those for you to make a note of.

I've never had to use any 3rd party backup programs, cloning or change out a HDD so I'm unable to help you with that procedure, but there's a wealth of expertise in the Lounge so help should be forthcoming for that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

allen642 (2014-02-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Hi,

Cloning the disk or creating an image and restoring it to the new disk will leave you with a Windows installation that cannot complete a system file checker scan. That's never good.
    If I were in your position, I would probably go ahead with the cloning (personally I have never used cloning, I just create and restore images, but cloning can be of use here), but once the new disk is ready, I would be considering a Windows 7 non destructive repair install, so that you can be sure about the integrity of your installation.

I would advise the repair on the new disk rather than the old, since you seem to be worried about the state of the old disk, otherwise I would advise that you try it in the old disk. Doing this on the new will also allow you to keep the old disk as an emergency backup, to be used if the repair install goes wrong.

Repair installs work very well, but considering sfc is failing, there is the possibility that it won't conclude successfully. In that case, I would probably advise a clean install. Also, a repair install can be a very lengthy procedure (many hours) and sometimes there is the temptation of aborting it (been there myself), so you should know it before you start. Sometimes a clean install is just the fastest way, even if it requires adding installing all your programs again.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

allen642 (2014-02-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    sfc /scannow (In Safe Mode) just finished running and here's the results:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 19% complete.

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

And that Long Test Report did NOT show anything wrong with the HDD. Completed successfully.

As I explained in my first message on this thread, my NEW HDD, that I took out, does have a clean install on it now. I believe a clean install is using the System Repair Disc that I cut to disc when I first got this computer new; is that right? You will have to go back and read my first message. Everything is there. Please check out my last post to ruirib.
    It's great news that IE is now working but I don't think it's ready to be transferred yet as the sfc /scannow still failed and did the Long Test report any faults for the HDD ?

It could be that you may need to do a clean install of Win 7 onto the new HDD then reinstall any programs/backed up files, but see if the sfc /scannow will complete in Safe Mode.

With a system image you cannot be selective with what you want to restore so you would have to manually drag & drop any personal files onto the external HDD and make a list of the programs that you will want to reinstall, but it's also concerning that the system images didn't take either although sometimes a factory reset can also fail and that can be indicative of a failing HDD.

It's also advised to back up your drivers folders as well before doing a clean install so that you can drop those back into System32.

The drivers folders can be found in Windows(C)/Windows/System32 and there are three of them.

For any paid for programs product keys and your Win 7 product key, Belarc Advisor will list all of those for you to make a note of.

I've never had to use any 3rd party backup programs, cloning or change out a HDD so I'm unable to help you with that procedure, but there's a wealth of expertise in the Lounge so help should be forthcoming for that.
    Last edited by allen642; 2014-02-17 at 11:46.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As you have said in your 2nd paragraph: If you will go back to my first message in this thread, I believe I have already done that with the NEW HDD. Read that and tell me if that is what I have done, according to your statement. I believe a clean install is using the System Repair Disc that I cut to disc when I first got this computer new; is that right? That new HDD is now at that stage. I just couldn't get IE or updates to work. I believe I used the System Repair Disc 3 times and it still wouldn't work.

I am new at this so I need some specific instructions forward, from what to do with this HDD before I change it out for the NEW HDD. (Backing up which files, folders, etc) Can that be done all in one operation? And what program to use for that. Most of my backup sequence is done with Windows Backup on a weekly basis, or should I use EaseUS Todo Backuip. Then after the NEW HDD is in, how to go about reinstalling those files and folders AND when. And checking the HDD for integrity; to make sure it's working right. Don't worry about the programs, I believe I understand about that as I've had to do that before. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Hi,

Cloning the disk or creating an image and restoring it to the new disk will leave you with a Windows installation that cannot complete a system file checker scan. That's never good.
    If I were in your position, I would probably go ahead with the cloning (personally I have never used cloning, I just create and restore images, but cloning can be of use here), but once the new disk is ready, I would be considering a Windows 7 non destructive repair install, so that you can be sure about the integrity of your installation.

I would advise the repair on the new disk rather than the old, since you seem to be worried about the state of the old disk, otherwise I would advise that you try it in the old disk. Doing this on the new will also allow you to keep the old disk as an emergency backup, to be used if the repair install goes wrong.

Repair installs work very well, but considering sfc is failing, there is the possibility that it won't conclude successfully. In that case, I would probably advise a clean install. Also, a repair install can be a very lengthy procedure (many hours) and sometimes there is the temptation of aborting it (been there myself), so you should know it before you start. Sometimes a clean install is just the fastest way, even if it requires adding installing all your programs again.
    Last edited by allen642; 2014-02-17 at 11:19.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by allen642 View Post
    How do you do a "Thank You" on the site. I know I've seen it somewhere but can't find it again.
    In the bottom left corner of each post is a "Thanks" button. Simply click on it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

allen642 (2014-02-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found it and I thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    In the bottom left corner of each post is a "Thanks" button. Simply click on it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    What steps did the System Repair Disc take you through and does Windows work okay on the new HDD ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not going to lie to you; that was 5 days ago since I had that HDD in this computer, but according to my first message on this thread: I went through the whole process with the System Repair Disc, and as it turned out Windows 7 worked, but I couldn't get IE to work, so in turn Windows Update wouldn't work. You need to re-read that first message as that's the info that I remember. Short of switching them out again to find out. LOL.. I do remember the procedure was just like when I first got this computer new. I basically had to fill out everything as when you first start a new computer, right out of the box, from the manufacture. As far as I can remember, YES, it did work on the new HDD.
    What steps did the System Repair Disc take you through and does Windows work okay on the new HDD ?
    Last edited by allen642; 2014-02-17 at 11:44.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allen642 View Post
    I'm not going to lie to you; that was 5 days ago since I had that HDD in this computer, but according to my first message on this thread: I went through the whole process with the System Repair Disc, and as it turned out Windows 7 worked, but I couldn't get IE to work, so in turn Windows Update wouldn't work. You need to re-read that first message as that's the info that I remember. Short of switching them out again to find out. LOL.. I do remember the procedure was just like when I first got this computer new. I basically had to fill out everything as when you first start a new computer, right out of the box, from the manufacture. As far as I can remember, YES, it did work on the new HDD.
    The System Repair Disc does not clean install Windows, if by this disc you mean a disc created by Windows to allow you to recover when the OS is unable to boot or has other problems. If this is a manufacturer provided disc that restores the computer to its factory state, then the situations is different, but you would have lost all your documents and programs and you would have noticed it.

A non destructive repair install means running Windows setup from within Windows and requires a Windows installation disc.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast