2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

svchost goes wild!

My wife (using W7 home premium 64) tried to shut her computer down last night, was stopped by the update window, and forgot it. This morning it was still "installing update 1 of N" which suggested that it was hung so I restarted it. Now it is hung. I went to boot into safe mode and clicked on the repair option that ran a bunch of stuff and then reported nothing wrong including that the box had all the updates.

Nonetheless, I can do some things but the box quickly bogs down into unusability. Process explorer shows no free cycles on the system idle line while one of the svchost lines bops between 75 and 98%. I cannot log off, I have to shut it down with the power supply switch.

As a scientist, I would be lost without my computer but this one is taking time away from my science.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Do you have a restore point from a time before the updates? That would be my first option. The second would be an image taken before the update.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This could also be from an already pre-existing condition and just highlighted with the updates.

If a hard reset doesn't resolve which is done by removing the battery (if laptop) and AC then holding the power button in for 30 secs, then doing a memory test separately on each RAM module may show up something http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolso...memorytest.htm