New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows7- problem with non destructive reinstall

In a recent Newsletter you provided advice on fixing Windows problems via a non-destructive install. I have my original Win7 Professional (64) disk. Un fortunately, I upgraded online to Win7 Ultimate. When I attempt to do a non-destructive reinstall as per your article (using my original Win7 Professional (64) disk) I get blocked with a message stating that my disk does not match my OS. Any suggestions how I can overcome that problem?

Thanks
    Use a keyfinder program such as Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to read your current Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Product Key from the Registry and jot it down.

Download Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (English, 64-bit) from Digital River, a licensed distributor of Microsoft software. Your current Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Product Key will only work with this edition of Windows.

Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool. This utility helps you burn the Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit ISO file to a DVD (or USB flash drive).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm having a similar problem, though after a complete (destructive) reinstall using the Digital River SP1 .iso file. HOWEVER, I have a complete backup of my original installation, and could recover from that to use the Keyfinder. As I don't want to recover the entire installation, my question is: ?Where's the location of the Product Key to be found??

Zig

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You need to have the product key to hand before the clean install with a SP1 ISO from DR to activate Windows and until then, it won't be registered on the computer to find so (if I understand what you have done), you will need to recover with the back up and then run the Keyfinder, but I prefer Belarc Advisor which does a full audit of your system.

If you download Magic Jelly Bean, be sure to use the Custom Install otherwise you will end up with Tune up Utilities 2014 installed.