Lounger
    Thanks

SSD Compatibility

I purchased an Intel 335 SSD for my Dell Vostro 1700 laptop, but the pins on the drive do not match the sockets in the drive bays. Dell and Intel support are no help. Which Intel drive, or comparable reliable SSD will fit in my system?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    Your computer supports SATA drives and the SSD is a SATA drive, so you should be able to use that SSD on that system. Basically you will need to remove the existing drive and plug the new drive as a replacement, of course after cloning the existing drive to the SSD. Have you considered this option?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Your computer supports SATA drives and the SSD is a SATA drive, so you should be able to use that SSD on that system. Basically you will need to remove the existing drive and plug the new drive as a replacement, of course after cloning the existing drive to the SSD. Have you considered this option?
    I thought it should work also, but the Intel 335 pins are much larger than the existing Seagate Momentus 160 GB Serial ATA, and the new drive would not plug into either of the 2 drive bays. Obvious interface problem when you look at the drives.
    Much thanks for your help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you remove the pin adapter from the Seagate and transfer it on the Intel?

This picture shows you what the adapter looks like.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-02-13),johnrdick (2014-02-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    Did you remove the pin adapter from the Seagate and transfer it on the Intel?

This picture shows you what the adapter looks like.
    I did not see the pin adapter when I had the Seagate out. It did have the tray adapter on it. I will have to go back in and have a look. It would be great if that solves the situation. Much thanks. I'll get back.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrdick View Post
    I did not see the pin adapter when I had the Seagate out. It did have the tray adapter on it. I will have to go back in and have a look. It would be great if that solves the situation. Much thanks. I'll get back.
    The pin adapter is part of the tray adapter. You place the disk in the tray adapter and connect it and it is the tray adapter that provides the connection to the computer SATA interface.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    In the future, check with your laptop maker's website for an owner's manual or a specification sheet
    that details the type of upgrade components that are possible.

It may take some digging around, but as you have already found out, performing some research beforehand can save a little pain in the end.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    In the future, check with your laptop maker's website for an owner's manual or a specification sheet
    that details the type of upgrade components that are possible.

It may take some digging around, but as you have already found out, performing some research beforehand can save a little pain in the end.
    The Dell owner's manual does not mention the tray and pin adapter. Dell customer service was worthless, and only wanted to sell me a drive for $599.99. Intel finally came through last night by email with the proper info on the tray and adapter. Amazon was accomodating and had already issued an RA and shipping label, but I fortunately had not yet sent it. Thanks again to all of you for the much needed advice. John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrdick View Post
    The Dell owner's manual does not mention the tray and pin adapter. Dell customer service was worthless, and only wanted to sell me a drive for $599.99. Intel finally came through last night by email with the proper info on the tray and adapter. Amazon was accomodating and had already issued an RA and shipping label, but I fortunately had not yet sent it. Thanks again to all of you for the much needed advice. John
    I have never had an owner's manual that showed that, to be honest.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The adapter had to have been there didn't it? Does Dell really use a drive with a proprietary connection? Seems like that would just cost them on margin and space for no gain whatsoever.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    The adapter had to have been there didn't it? Does Dell really use a drive with a proprietary connection? Seems like that would just cost them on margin and space for no gain whatsoever.
    Yes, the adapter was on the old Seagate, but these old eyes didn't see it because it was in drive bay 1, and I was trying to install the SSD in drive bay 2 and then change the boot order in BIOS. Amazing what you can see when it's pointed out to you. But then, if the Dell folks were trying to help instead of selling me a vastly overpriced drive I would have been much further along. Thanks again dg1261: the tray and adapter are enroute.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah two bays, that clears it up for me.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ah two bays, that clears it up for me.
    Thought I had it made with two drive bays, but ahh, life is not so simple. Received the adapter tray, pin adapter, and screws yesterday from China. Installed the SSD in HDD Bay 2, but computer would not boot. Selecting F12 or F2 during boot still hung boot. Finally installed SSD in HDD Bay 1, and booted to Installation CD. BIOS recognized 240 GB SSD. Installed XP-Pro SP2 on new SSD, which would then boot! When I put the old HD in HDD Bay 2 the system again would not boot with both drive bays occupied. Switching the drives it still would not boot, or even come up with the BIOS on either F2 or F12. I would still like to clone the old XP system from the old HD, but for some reason the system will not boot with both drive bays occupied, and will not even boot to the system CD. OK Guys: what am I missing here? How do I set up this laptop so it will boot with a bootable drive in each bay, or a bootable drive in Bay 1 and another drive in Bay 2? Owners manual does not discuss. Yes, a clean install is nice, but I lose 6 years of drivers, programs, and upgrades. Why will it not work with drive in both bays? THANKS

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a look at this PDF page 3 about the hard drives and see if this is applicable to your system or not (this Vostro 1700 seems only compatible with two equal size, fairly small drives).

If it does, you can still clone to the SSD but you're going to have to use and alternate method such as a USB to SATA power/data adapter cable.