3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD Burner Tray Locked Not Open By Nero 5.5

I need help.
    The PC (Dell, XP SP2) has an internal DVD burner that the tray is locked unable to slide out.
    (Read on before you say use a pin to the pin-hole.)

To start, can eliminate: PC mechanical problem, power supply problem, XP problem.
    No 'secondary' cover problem either. The 'pretty-face' 2ndary cover in this case is working properly, no mechanical bind, and the spring on it is very very light, easy to push it downwards. The DVD tray can easily push it out of the way and slide out.

When clicking/push Eject, you can hear the tray trying to slide out but something stops it (hear a bump). The motor runs (hear the sound). Just out an 1/39.99th an inch (eye ball estimates) then it slides back tightly shut again.

Partial solution that works:
    1. Thinking old burner is defective, replace with new burner.
    Door slides out many times. Burns a few disc even. "No problemo". Peace of cake.
    2. Now runs the already installed Nero5.5. Nero says need to ID which burner to do burning. Select the new burner. Nero will not accept, saying no burner. After that ...
    3. Now try to open tray. Lock up like the old one! Scratch head?!!?
    4. Use a pin to pin-hole and force out the tray. It slides out alright this way.
    5. Click (on Folder Explorer) or push (the button) Eject. Tray slides in by itself. Click/push Eject again to open. Locked again; won't slide out.
    6. Connect to USB-IDE adapter (yes, old IDE burner), then to *another* PC. Still locked. Connect instead directly to internal IDE bus (surely also the 4-pin power connector). Still locked. Did it on both the old and the new burners. No way to unlock.
    Scratch head haaard ... may see blood! Lose a brand new working DVD burner!

Found the problem but not the solution:
    1. and 2. above differ by just one:
    In 1. I use a portable version of the **FREE** Nero 11. It works all-OK, burning DVD even.
    The installed Nero 5.5 I suspect is a pirate version. Senior owner does not know; several users too (sons, grandsons, friends, all use the only login user, an admin).
    I already 'eradicate' Nero5.5 by RevoUninstaller, just in case.

Questions: (Google returns no answer, hence here)
    1. Could Nero 5.5, if a pirate version, have codes to lock up the DVD tray?
    2. How does it lock the tray? Firmware change on the burner?
    3. Is there a way to unlock, to reclaim my new burner? (Don't tell me to buy a new one!)
    4. If 3. is possible by mechanical means, please provide instructions to dissemble the burner.
    5. If 3. is possible by software means, I have legit, paid, licensed Nero 6.6 and 11, but not 5.5.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Every thing you stated is very possible as I've seen some even weirder stuff in my days with software and hardware not playing nice.

Sounds like you have some registry corruption and left over strings and possibly some BIOS settings that are not set or set correctly. It happens.

I would stick with just one of your burning software programs and uninstall the rest.

Then I would clear the CMOS...I like to do this by pulling the battery out for 5 minutes and then putting it back in. There are other ways but this is the easiest way for me.

Thanks
    I had some problems with my DVD burner. It was an IDE burner. I replaced it with another IDE burner; same problems. I then replaced it with a SATA burner. Absolutely no problem since then.

Not sure if that will fix your issue, but it may be worth looking into.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Replace IDE burner with SATA burner": Good info.
    Too bad the old PC has only IDE.
    A thought: maybe buy an IDE-to-SATA adapter in order to use SATA burner. The penalty is extra cost. Will keep this solution in mind.
    "Registry corruption":
    I shoulda thought of that. I'll check the registry next week. Or do a CClean of the registry. Will also check filters in the registry while at it.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    I would prefer a controller card which provides SATA ports, if you can find one for the type of slots you have on your motherboard.

But if I couldn't find that type of controller card, I would go with the IDE to SATA adapter.

The reason I prefer the controller card over the adapter is because IDE is old technology, and therefore it may conflict with something, or IDE may be whacked in your computer. The controller card will bypass IDE entirely, thereby eliminating the IDE middleman from the process.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

scaisson (2014-02-21)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ jim, good point re preferring SATA card than a SATA adapter.
    Will look for PCI SATA card. Not sure the old Dell has PCIe or it being occupied by video card. It is DVD drive, so speed is not a concern.
    I still prefer to fixing the locked new burner though.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

You could go to device manager and uninstall the drivers for the CD burner then reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers. You could search the manufacturers site for the burner and see if any new firmware updates are available (or even the same as what you have) and installing the firmware following the instructions. Seems to me if something has altered the firmware.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.