5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1TB hard drive not seen by my computer

Hello. I was given a useless HD, a 1 TBs, 3.5", in a Seagate enclosure. Using Gparted, I was able to "see" it and format it. I looks healthy in Gparted, the whole frame is in green and readable still in Gparted.
    Now the bone ! When I connect it to my W-8 Machine, My Computer does not see it at all, if I go to Control Panel, Computer Management then Disk Management, it is shown in total, 931.51 GBs, but is labelled unallocated and there is nothing I can do with it. When I right-click on it, the menu that comes up is greyed out.

Is this a size problem, would I be able to use it if I were to partition it into smaller size ?
    The USB enclosure is fine, I have slipped in a 500 GBs HD and it works fine but still I would like to use the 1 TBs one . Have a great day. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-02-17 at 08:38.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi, Jean.

Try right-clicking on the area to the left of the disk partition graphic and see what options are there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Satrow, hello.

Quoting from my own message : When I right-click on it, the menu that comes up is greyed out. The menu is there, complete but not useable. Jean.

Thanks
    There are 2x different menus on the lower part of Disk Management, where it says Disk X, Basic, 950GB, Online it's different to the menu available from the main graph.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In GParted you could also write a new MBR to the disk Jean, but it is the same option you should see in the context menu of the little square identifier block of the disk that Satrow mentions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN, hello.
    Does not formatting create an MBR of sort on the disk ? I did format it in Gparted and it showed that it was all there in fine form. The area was surrounded by a green frame. I am going back to Gparted to chase your two suggestions. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Not if the disk already contained a partition(s). In GParted it's in the menu someplace and there's all sorts of different disk-types that can be set besides MBR and can only be set when the disk is unallocated I believe.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello to you both. We can relax now, the 1 TB HD is gonzoed. I can not even see it again in Gparted, the setup is fine, I substituted a known HD and it was seen. Things happen but this was on a machine and running 24/7/52, it went way over the guarantied 10,000 hours. Thanks for the support. Jean.

Thanks
    If you have another computer, you could try connecting it to the other computer. Also, if you have a desktop computer, you could remove the HD from its plastic enclosure and connect it to your computer like an internal drive. If it works in either scenario, then at least you will be able to get some use out of it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, a good morning to you.
    I have tried all this as you suggested. On top of it, I had in hand a good SATA HD and after the 1 TB failed, I connected the good one to prove that the circuitry was good and it worked every time. The 1 TB is DEAD ! Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Jim, a good morning to you.
    I have tried all this as you suggested. On top of it, I had in hand a good SATA HD and after the 1 TB failed, I connected the good one to prove that the circuitry was good and it worked every time. The 1 TB is DEAD ! Jean.
    Been there, done that. I have exactly the same issue you now have -- a friend of mine has a dead hard drive on which she stored tons of irreplaceable photos.

My next step will be to put a copy of Linux onto a CD, and use it to boot the computer to Linux. I have heard that this is a good way to access a drive which you can't access via Windows.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, let me know how you fare in this regard : use it to boot the computer to Linux. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, hello.
    Well, game over on this 1 TB HD. I took it apart and using a peen hammer, I embossed the HD to protect all the data from my daughter's business, it will never be read no matter what. This HD was quite different from what I had seen so far, the disk itself is 1/8" thick and a single medium, double over-under heads. I have now a .5 TB device in the enclosure. Fun ! Still no image, I only do clones. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Been there, done that. I have exactly the same issue you now have -- a friend of mine has a dead hard drive on which she stored tons of irreplaceable photos.

My next step will be to put a copy of Linux onto a CD, and use it to boot the computer to Linux. I have heard that this is a good way to access a drive which you can't access via Windows.
    Try using Spinrite for your data recovery. It's saved me a few times as well as some family and friends. It's not free but it does the job for most data retrieval on dead HDD's.