Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Fresh install Win 8.1 on SSD, use full 3TB HDD?

I have an ASRock system with drive 1 a 232GB SSD and drive 0 a 3TB HDD.
    I want to clean install Win 8 on this system.

If I clean the drives and install fresh I get Win 8 on the SSD but the HDD is 350MB reserved, 2TB available and 746GB unavailable.
    If I use Diskpart to clean drive 0 and make the HDD a GPT drive I cannot install Windows 8, I get an error code 0x80300024 unable to install.

What's the trick to install Win 8 on SSD and get the full 3TB on the other drive?

TIA
    Patrick

Thanks
    Power off, open the case and unplug the eSATA cable and power cable from the 3TB drive, then power up and install Windows on the SSD. After Windows is installed, power down and reconnect the 3TB drive. You may want to partition that 3TB drive according to your intended uses.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-02-18 at 07:01.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you bbearen! A simple hardware fix to a software problem.
    Here's my steps now:

0. Power off, disconnect SATA cable from 3TB HDD
    1. Install Win 8 on SSD. Power off and reconnect SATA cable.
    2. Boot from Win Install CD, Next, Repair, Advanced, Command Prompt
    3. DISKPART, list disk, select disk=0, clean, convert gpt,
    4. create partition primary, select partition 1, format quick
    5. Boot to windows, Win+Run diskmgmt.msc, assign drive letter to the drive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have the necessary prerequisites you should be able to do everything for the 3TB in Disk management quick and simple.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    so I would have thought, but installing Win 8 on the SSD while HDD is active created a System partition on the HDD which I could not remove.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I don't know what is going on there, it shouldn't touch the HDD while installing to the SSD. After it's hooked up again following bbearren's method though, it should behave in disk management.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sysmod View Post
    Thank you bbearen! A simple hardware fix to a software problem.
    Here's my steps now:

0. Power off, disconnect SATA cable from 3TB HDD
    1. Install Win 8 on SSD. Power off and reconnect SATA cable.
    2. Boot from Win Install CD, Next, Repair, Advanced, Command Prompt
    3. DISKPART, list disk, select disk=0, clean, convert gpt,
    4. create partition primary, select partition 1, format quick
    5. Boot to windows, Win+Run diskmgmt.msc, assign drive letter to the drive.
    0. Power off, open the case and unplug the eSATA cable and power cable from the 3TB drive. The SSD eSATA cable should be connected to eSATA port 0 (or if the numbering on the motherboard starts with 1, then connected to port 1). If it isn't, move it there.

1. Power up and install Windows on the SSD. This is to include all the reboots and fundamental OOB setup. After the initial setup, do one more reboot.

2. After Windows is fully installed, power down and reconnect the 3TB drive.

3. DISKPART can be run directly from an Administrators level Command Prompt in Windows. In the Command window, Type "diskpart" (without the quotes) and hit Enter.

4. In DISKPART, type "list disk" (wtq) and Enter.

5. Note the Disk # and the size of the disk. Your SSD should show as Disk 0.

6. Type "select disk 1" (wtq) if Disk 1 is your 3TB disk - it should be, but use whatever Disk # DISKPART uses to list it. The prompt will say "Disk 1 is now the selected disk" ( or whatever Disk # is listed for the 3TB that you used).

7. Type "clean" (wtq) and Enter. (this will get rid of the 350MB reserved partition)

8. Type "convert gpt" (wtg) and Enter.

Once the disk has been cleaned and converted to GPT, you can exit DISKPART. There is no need to assign a drive letter. Windows should do that automatically, if not before the format, then after. If you want to further partition the 3TB drive, you can do that in Disk Management. To format, use NTFS, and don't use the "quick format".
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Care to elaborate why not to use 'Quick Format' here?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    Exactly....when I do a clean install I always format the drive that the OS is going to be installed on.

My suspicion is the the MBR is on the 3 TB drive which is creating all the confusion on that drive. The MBR should be on the drive that the OS is installed on. To clarify this...can you post a screen shot of your disk management window.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    "Format" removes all files from a drive (or partition/logical drive). A "Quick Format" does not scan the disk for bad sectors (this scan is what takes most of the time in a full format). A full format performs this scan, and marks any bad sectors found as unusable.

Microsoft advises using a Quick Format only on a previously formatted drive. Personally, I always avoid Quick Format. I want to make certain that the disk gets a thorough check before I trust my files to it.

I also run chkdsk /r from time to time, which checks for bad sectors as well, and attempts to recover any data found in bad sectors. Just another part of my maintenance regimen.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-02-21 at 09:44.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Exactly....when I do a clean install I always format the drive that the OS is going to be installed on.

My suspicion is the the MBR is on the 3 TB drive which is creating all the confusion on that drive. The MBR should be on the drive that the OS is installed on. To clarify this...can you post a screen shot of your disk management window.
    In reality, all formatted hard drives have a Master Boot Record which contains the partitioning information of the drive. The MBR can also contain boot loader instructions for an OS, but every formatted hard drive has a Master Boot Record (MBR) whether it's the actual boot drive or not. In addition, a single hard drive can have only one MBR.

An MBR disk is limited in size to 2TB because of the addressing scheme. To get the full use of a 3TB disk, GPT must be used. While MBR will work, it won't show more than 2TB of available space.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-02-21 at 09:46.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    In reality, all formatted hard drives have a Master Boot Record which contains the partitioning information of the drive. The MBR can also contain boot loader instructions for an OS, but every formatted hard drive has a Master Boot Record (MBR) whether it's the actual boot drive or not. In addition, a single hard drive can have only one MBR.

An MBR disk is limited in size to 2TB because of the addressing scheme. To get the full use of a 3TB disk, GPT must be used. While MBR will work, it won't show more than 2TB of available space.
    Well there you go....learned something new today. I did not know the limitations of the MBR disk size. Which explains his issue with the 3 TB drive showing on 2 TB and the rest as unavailable. Thanks!

Thanks
    B.F.,

You may find this comparison article GPT vs MBR useful. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Does 8 format similar to 7 (writes zeros)? If so, set aside a nice big block of time for that format, it might take upwards of 3 days.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    B.F.,

You may find this comparison article GPT vs MBR useful. HTH
    Hey RG...thanks for the article...bookmarking it.

My next question then is; how do you set up a 3 TB HDD or larger for GPT? I see nothing in my BIOS. I see no mention of it in the article....or is it automatically done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast