2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Imaging - Acronis vs EaseUS ToDo Backup?

I have just purchased a new win8 laptop. I normally do a complete Image of the drive as soon as I have it set up with my usual software, so it is easy to get back to a "Clean state" if the drive dies, or I want to start over.
    I used Acronis True Image Home for this task before, with great success. It works like a dream, but I only have an older version that will not work on Win8.

Looking through things, I have found EaseUS ToDo Backup which appears to do the same thing, but is free.

Comparing the two - $29 for Acronis upgrade vs free..... which one will work better? Your experiences would help me immensely!

Thanks in advance

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Photoer, this link will help.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Macrium Reflect free, works great.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    We all have our preferences. I have used Acronis True Image for many years and I still use it, now version 2014, with Windows 8.1. It works as I want it, so I can vouch for it. You can always download the trial version and see how you like it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 8.1 comes with a very easy to use image maker, and it's free. Look for it in the lower left corner of your File History screen.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips - I will have a good look over them

Does the File History also take you back to a "Clean install" state of Win 8.1?

Thanks
    Hi Photorer, I think it depends on when it was created. I don't have Win8.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - so here's my rocky road so far....

Started up the new laptop with Windows 8 - set up Sophos Antivirus after taking off Norton (which I hate with a passion!) and set up all the 92 +2 updates. all installed over night. THen came the set up of Office 365 which was pre-installed so not too difficult (just activated with my account). Then I had to leave it for another day to download windows 8.1 from the Windows Store....... which also installed fine! I was just about to get busy with some more items, when Samsung Update pops up telling me that the drivers need updating - so I leave it to do its thing some more for another half a day. When it finishes with those updates, the laptop needs a restart, and ...................
    it never wakes up again! It had a cursor, with the spinning circle next to it for around 3 hours. Several restarts later (hard shutdowns, and tweaks etc) and still no luck.

Then I remembered that you can do a "refresh" of windows 8..... so I managed to get to that screen by using the Fn+F1 combination and did a refresh. I am now another 2 days down the line with updates installation and about to do the windows 8.1 setup overnight............ and I will definitely [B]not[B] be doing any of the Samsung updates!

I have purchased the latest version of Acronis TI 2014, and will now install that and create an image that I can get back to in less than the 2 days of setups, and updates!

Thanks for the tips....

Thanks
    I also use Acronis and its totally trusted on my pc's.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, my freeware, aomei backupper works well. Do you hear it before? But I all also like Acronis. $29 is not expensive at all.