2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Imaging - Acronis vs EaseUS ToDo Backup?

I have just purchased a new win8 laptop. I normally do a complete Image of the drive as soon as I have it set up with my usual software, so it is easy to get back to a "Clean state" if the drive dies, or I want to start over.
    I used Acronis True Image Home for this task before, with great success. It works like a dream, but I only have an older version that will not work on Win8.

Looking through things, I have found EaseUS ToDo Backup which appears to do the same thing, but is free.

Comparing the two - $29 for Acronis upgrade vs free..... which one will work better? Your experiences would help me immensely!

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Hi Photoer, this link will help.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Macrium Reflect free, works great.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    We all have our preferences. I have used Acronis True Image for many years and I still use it, now version 2014, with Windows 8.1. It works as I want it, so I can vouch for it. You can always download the trial version and see how you like it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 8.1 comes with a very easy to use image maker, and it's free. Look for it in the lower left corner of your File History screen.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tips - I will have a good look over them

Does the File History also take you back to a "Clean install" state of Win 8.1?

Thanks
    Hi Photorer, I think it depends on when it was created. I don't have Win8.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - so here's my rocky road so far....

Started up the new laptop with Windows 8 - set up Sophos Antivirus after taking off Norton (which I hate with a passion!) and set up all the 92 +2 updates. all installed over night. THen came the set up of Office 365 which was pre-installed so not too difficult (just activated with my account). Then I had to leave it for another day to download windows 8.1 from the Windows Store....... which also installed fine! I was just about to get busy with some more items, when Samsung Update pops up telling me that the drivers need updating - so I leave it to do its thing some more for another half a day. When it finishes with those updates, the laptop needs a restart, and ...................
    it never wakes up again! It had a cursor, with the spinning circle next to it for around 3 hours. Several restarts later (hard shutdowns, and tweaks etc) and still no luck.

Then I remembered that you can do a "refresh" of windows 8..... so I managed to get to that screen by using the Fn+F1 combination and did a refresh. I am now another 2 days down the line with updates installation and about to do the windows 8.1 setup overnight............ and I will definitely [B]not[B] be doing any of the Samsung updates!

I have purchased the latest version of Acronis TI 2014, and will now install that and create an image that I can get back to in less than the 2 days of setups, and updates!

Thanks for the tips....

Thanks
    I also use Acronis and its totally trusted on my pc's.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, my freeware, aomei backupper works well. Do you hear it before? But I all also like Acronis. $29 is not expensive at all.