Star Lounger
    Thanks

Duplex printing; Different first Page (Word 2007)

I tried searching, but the search engine does not like "first" and "Different". It ignores them.

In our push to cut down paper consumption, we are tasked with printing on both sides. That's fine, except for letters. They are printed on letterhead, located in a specific drawer on all our printers. Letter documents in Word are formatted with a "different first page" section, which references the proper drawer. When printing a letter that is more than one page, it prints one side of the letterhead, and then jumps to the remaining pages which then are printed on two sides.

Is there a way to automatically print on both sides of the letterhead.

I saw the suggestion about adding a section break, and choosing two different paper sources, but that is a bit cumbersome to say the least to manually add a break. And, of course you know what is going to happen when someone has to modify things! One line on a whole sheet!

So: Any suggestions?
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Different First Page is a header/footer option, not a section option. It sounds like you are using a different section for your continuation pages, probably with a continuous section break near the top of your first page. You could allow your first section (pulling from your letterhead drawer) to go to two pages. That would require the typist to manually jump to the next section, though. You would also then need a different-first-page setting for that section's headers with a continuation header.

BTW, I would probably resent a duplexed letter in a business setting. That is more like mass mailing. Paper is a miniscule expense compared to labor. Doing this in Word is going to cost more, I expect.

I duplex everything I can for paper files but my primary storage is pdf.

Sections, Headers and Footers in Ribbon Versions of Word
    Last edited by Charles Kenyon; 2014-02-18 at 13:59.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. And, I agree about the duplex and business letters. But as I have said elsewhere on this forum, I am but a mere paper pusher who must deal with the in-depth thinking that comes from above.

Nontheless, I will try that suggestion.
    [I have been here for years; I had to get things restarted]