Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does it make sense to upgrade to Win7 from this XP?

My friend’s computer passes the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on all counts.
    --- If it makes sense he’ll buy a Windows 7 Home Premium disc from tigerdirect to upgrade but I need help on understanding a few issues in order to determine whether or not it makes sense

The computer specs are:
    HP Pavilion 061 XP Pro SP3 CPU: 2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
    Memory: 4GB Hard drive: SAMSUNG SP2004C 200.05 GB Bus clock: 200MHz
    --- Originally Windows XP Media Center Edition
    The bus clock is only 200MHz.
    --- Will this be a performance issue? Maybe involving a slow computer?

Although there are green checkmarks for the following items, is it realistic that the drivers will be available?
    --- Should I go online to find out if I can burn their drivers to CD and then install them once Windows 7 is installed?
    Programs:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE, NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator & Realtek High Definition Audio,
    Details: Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work

I suspect the computer will run Win7 but if it appears that the computer will run slow or that it has to get by with drivers that might not be updateable I'd rather steer him to a refurbished Windows 7 computer

Thanks
    Although there are green checkmarks for the following items, is it realistic that the drivers will be available?
    The computer should be fine, as for the drivers, you can look for Windows 7 drivers on HP's site.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-02-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    Memory: 4GB Hard drive
    I assume you meant "4GB of RAM".

The computer probably has the original hard drive, which means that the hard drive is getting pretty old. It won't be that much longer before it fails.

I would suggest getting a new, 2TB hard drive, and installing it in place of the current hard drive. Then do a clean install of Windows 7 onto the new hard drive.

Make sure that your friend has the install key for his copy of XP. If he can't find it, he can download and install Magical Jelly Bean (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/). It will give him the install key for Windows (and for MS Office, if that is also installed.) He may need these keys sometime in the future, and this will be his last chance to get them, if he doesn't already have them written down somewhere.

With 4 GB of RAM and a big hard drive, he will do fine with Windows 7.

If for whatever reason things don't work out, all he has to do is reinstall the original hard drive and he's back in business. Or, better yet, clone from the old HD to the new HD, and he will be back in business with a brand new big hard drive.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-02-18 at 17:57.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-02-19)

Thanks
    The computer probably has the original hard drive, which means that the hard drive is getting pretty old. It won't be that much longer before it fails.
    I wouldn't say that was true. Its really hard to predict when hard drives fail. I've got a couple that are 10 years old and still run fine. Unless he sees signs of hard drive failure, I wouldn't replace it.

If he doesn't have a backup strategy however, he might want to pick up a new drive and a hard drive dock ($30 at Microcenter). Put the new drive in the PC since its probably faster and use the old one as a backup drive.

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-02-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I should have thought of checking HP's drivers first instead of wondering how to find the drivers seperately on the internet. The installed hard drive is the original one but I do like the idea of installing a new one. Right now he's only using about 39GB on his 200GB hard drive so it shows me he doen't do any heavy duty computer usage. Although I don't have any data to go by, I'd like to see him go up to at least a 500GB hard drive for Windows 7 32-bit. His computer does have 64-bit capability and the Win7 Upgrade Advisor has all good results if he wants to do that. But his motherboard can handle only up to 4GB RAM and with a 64-bit system, I like to see more than 4GB RAM available for potential future use. The backup ideas are also great. I've been trying to have him do that but so far it hasn't worked out. But if he's willing to have a new hard drive installed, using the old hard drive as a backup might appeal to him.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    cmptrgy, hello.
    I just in the last few days, redid an old Dell, a hand-me-up from my daughter. It is 8 year old. It still had the XP OEM partition on it and after flushing the C:\, I installed XP again but for a few hours only, I then got my W-7 DVD out and loaded it. It runs as a secondary machine here. It only has 1 G of RAM and a 200 GBs HD. The CPU is an Athlon 2-core 2.2 MHz. It will do for light use for sure. The one that you care for should too without adding any extra to it as it is more powerful than this one here. Try it on W-7 first and then add any improvement to it if you really feel that it is needed, which I doubt. I do not use Aero at all. My 2¢ ! Have a great snow day. Jean.
    NB: I had to phone MS to get this "Genuine" flag on it.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-02-19 at 09:56. Reason: Added note.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-02-19)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When upgrading old systems, even more so than newer systems (which are often quite mismatched for marketing reasons), it's a case of matching components to the point that none are weak to the point they constantly cause performance issues or are so strong that they are greatly underutilized. I've got a dozen or so old single core AMD systems (and a couple Intel as well) I tinker with so I think I know that which I speak of.

The system in question will run Win 7 quite well but the weakest component looks to be the 6150 graphics. You'd need a lot stronger processor to ever need more than 4 gigs of RAM; that's more than enough to completely saturate the CPU cycles without breaking a swapping sweat. My old-timers don't multitask at all, this system will, but will quickly saturate on anything serious and anything above 4 gigs of RAM (probably above 2) will be in the hammock most of the time (though it may appear to be useful because Windows 7 will occupy about 50% of the RAM with stuff regardless).

From experience, a better component to upgrade would be the graphics because that will take some of the pressure off the processor and enhance a most important aspect, the visual performance abilities of Win 7 (aero glass, peek, etc.).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I wouldn't say that was true. Its really hard to predict when hard drives fail. I've got a couple that are 10 years old and still run fine. Unless he sees signs of hard drive failure, I wouldn't replace it.

If he doesn't have a backup strategy however, he might want to pick up a new drive and a hard drive dock ($30 at Microcenter). Put the new drive in the PC since its probably faster and use the old one as a backup drive.

Jerry
    Here's why I recommend replacing the hard drive:

* Whenever you install an OS, that's a good time to replace the hard drive, because you'll have to totally install everything anyway.
    * A new hard drive will set his MTBF (mean time before failure) clock back to zero.
    * A new hard drive will be bigger and faster.
    * Installing a new hard drive will mean that the old drive becomes a full backup. It will be extremely easy to revert back should he want or need to.

Having said all of that, the 200 GB hard drive he now has will be sufficient for Windows 7, as long as he doesn't go way overboard on what he wants to store on it, and as long as he does a complete backup before proceeding.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Thanks everyone. I should have thought of checking HP's drivers first instead of wondering how to find the drivers seperately on the internet. The installed hard drive is the original one but I do like the idea of installing a new one. Right now he's only using about 39GB on his 200GB hard drive so it shows me he doen't do any heavy duty computer usage. Although I don't have any data to go by, I'd like to see him go up to at least a 500GB hard drive for Windows 7 32-bit. His computer does have 64-bit capability and the Win7 Upgrade Advisor has all good results if he wants to do that. But his motherboard can handle only up to 4GB RAM and with a 64-bit system, I like to see more than 4GB RAM available for potential future use. The backup ideas are also great. I've been trying to have him do that but so far it hasn't worked out. But if he's willing to have a new hard drive installed, using the old hard drive as a backup might appeal to him.
    I don't see why he would need 500GB if he is only using 39 GB now. It could make sense to go with a 120 GB SSD instead.
    About the 4GB, without a 64 bit OS, most likely you will get just 3 GB usable RAM, so even with 4 GB, makes sense to go 64 bit.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya there's a little trade off in minimum resource requirement between 64-bit and 32; 64 demands a little more, I couldn't tell you either way though if 3.25 gigs on a 32 bit system is better than the full 4 on a 64-bit system. I've tried both on my puny little single cores and it definitely happier running 32-bit OS, but I only have a max of 2 gigs RAM on any one system as well so the question is moot for me.

Been there done that with the SSDs as well and most would probably tell you that it's a waste of time since the data bus is probably SATA 1 at best. Having tried it however, there is a definite performance gain, nothing like it would be of course on a SATA 3 bus controller but I think the random access nature of SSDs shines through where even a defragged and optimized hard drive cannot go. I like differences in performance a human can discern rather than the ones that can only be determined by looking at two graphs.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just talked to my friend at work and his decision is to keep his present hard drive and 32-bit system
    --- In other words, don't change anything unless its necessary

So now that adds a couple of more questions for me
    I went to HP's website to look for Windows 7 drivers for the items I had posted and I don't see them but since Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor has green arrows for everything I'll still try it
    --- But my concern is I want to make sure I can connect to the internet once Windows 7 is installed
    Looking at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...t=3245022#N956 it appears to me that the driver I'll need if it becomes necessary is the Fall 2006 Original LAN driver

Then since I will have a Windows 7 Hme Premium install disc, it appears to me that I will not have to wipe the drive clean but just insert the Windows DVD and let it do its thing
    --- However if I do have to wipe the drive clean, how can I do that?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just found the answer to my question as to whether or not I would have to wipe the hard drive clean and I don't have to
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ows-7#T1=tab01

Thanks
    So now that adds a couple of more questions for me
    I went to HP's website to look for Windows 7 drivers for the items I had posted and I don't see them but since Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor has green arrows for everything I'll still try it
    --- But my concern is I want to make sure I can connect to the internet once Windows 7 is installed
    Looking at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...t=3245022#N956 it appears to me that the driver I'll need if it becomes necessary is the Fall 2006 Original LAN driver
    There are two ways to get the Windows 7 NIC driver for this computer:

1. In Device Manager, right-click on the network adapter listing in the right-side panel. Choose Details / Hardware Ids. Get the VEN and DEV numbers. Go to the following website to find the driver: http://www.pcidatabase.com/

2. Plug in an external (USB) NIC, so that you can get on the internet. Do a Windows update. You will likely find the driver you need for the internal NIC under hardware/optional updates.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-02-19)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, it doesn't take too much to figure out how many Win 7 drivers were available from the manufacturer for the systems I have it on that predate Win 7 by 4 and 5 years. Having the NIC driver is the key. Method 2 above works good if a basic one is not already installed, but if you can identify the NIC beforehand, often it's a Realtek (usually all one needs to do is look at the adapter in the current install for identification), you can have the drivers handy on a thumb drive to install shortly after the OS is installed.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

20. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-02-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've compared Windows 7 Home Premium software on TigerDirect, Amazon & Newegg

TigerDirect doesn't include SP1 and that's ok with me since I'm going to do a clean image backup once all of his Windows Updates and Applications are in order

However Amazon & Newegg do include SP1
    Amazon states System Builder OEM Windows is intended for Pre-Install on a new PC
    Newegg states This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale
    --- It looks to me Amazon & Newegg are essentially saying the same thing
    --- But my friends computer isn't new and there isn't any resale involved
    --- Will he run into activation issues with Microsoft since he isn't a reseller if he decides on Amazon or Newegg vs. TigerDirect?

Also one of the volunteers I volunteer with has a Vista computer (I don't know the version yet) and I've read that it's possible to do a Windows 7 Upgrade vs. a fresh install
    --- How can I tell how to order a Windows 7 Upgrade?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast