Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

CD/DVD drive vanishes after sleep

My blasted CD/DVD drive vanished again. I don't use it that often. The original CD/DVD drive was replaced several months ago under extended warranty. When it appears and is available, computer details are:

Laptop Model: Toshiba Satellite C660 PSC1GA-01E01M
    CD/DVD: HP DVD RW AD-7701H
    Driver: c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys, 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Behaviour: the CD/DVD drive will appear after startup or restart but is gone when computer is awakened from sleep. It is not in the 'Computer' Explorer window nor in Device Manager or third-party utility Speccy. It will reappear after restart. To test, I have it sleep from the Start menu command or by pressing the power button briefly. I get the same behaviour in either case.

Solutions Tried: I did have MagicISO and MagicDisc installed providing a virtual CD. Uninstalling those with a restart and sleep showed no change. I checked Event Viewer and saw many, many errors per hour for Bonjour (an Apple item that give access to Mac printers.) I uninstalled it and restarted and set it to sleep. The behaviour continues. I tried "Update Driver" in Device Manager but it states that I have the most current driver.

To verify the original model, I found an older (2012-10-19) screen capture that shows the original CD/DVD drive was the same HP model. (I do also see from another, older session that MagicISO showed up as the only CD/DVD drive in Device Manager. Might it be a player in this saga, despite removal?)

Toshiba provides a number of utilities with the computer. I tried a few--there is a "PC Diagnostic Tool"--but found no help. It shows "Skip" when CD/DVD unavailable, and "Pass" when it is and I have a CD in the drive.

The Toshiba support site lists drivers:

http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/...download?os=25

but I don't see any driver for the CD/DVD. In Device Manager, I see it is using the Microsoft driver.

I can search in Google or Bing for a driver but am wary of all the results. I prefer drivers from the manufacturer.

I'm stumped... and I've been at this awhile. Suggestions?

Paul
    Last edited by xpuserpjc; 2014-02-18 at 23:12. Reason: irrelevant info removed

New Lounger
    Thanks

A general Toshiba problem with vanished optical drive?

Is this a Toshiba problem? I'm working on a friends Satellite P775-S7215 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium, fully patched. It may be a coincidence but after an Avira antivirus update there was a popup message saying something like "Avira has turned off your optical drive" (my friend didn't write down the message). After that the Blu-ray drive was gone from Win Explorer and Device Manager. It would reappear occasionally after a reboot. We did not try putting the laptop to sleep. After trying several things we decided that the drive had broken and replaced it.

For about a month the drive worked fine. Then Avira gave the same odd message and the drive disappeared again from Win Explorer, Device Manager AND the BIOS! I hadn't looked in the BIOS previously.

I'm at a total loss. I called Toshiba support and they were real helpful (not). They implied that this is a known issue and that the "solution" was to reset the laptop to the factory image. Of course this loses all the installed sw and required the data be restored from backup (yes I have a full image backup). I tried doing the "repair" in-place Windows upgrade but that didn't fix anything.

I'll try resetting it to factory, but I really don't expect that to fix anything.

I'll join with Paul and say HELP!!!!

Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by byg7668 View Post
    Is this a Toshiba problem? I'm working on a friends Satellite P775-S7215 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium, fully patched. It may be a coincidence but after an Avira antivirus update there was a popup message saying something like "Avira has turned off your optical drive" (my friend didn't write down the message). After that the Blu-ray drive was gone from Win Explorer and Device Manager. It would reappear occasionally after a reboot. We did not try putting the laptop to sleep. After trying several things we decided that the drive had broken and replaced it.

For about a month the drive worked fine. Then Avira gave the same odd message and the drive disappeared again from Win Explorer, Device Manager AND the BIOS! I hadn't looked in the BIOS previously.

I'm at a total loss. I called Toshiba support and they were real helpful (not). They implied that this is a known issue and that the "solution" was to reset the laptop to the factory image. Of course this loses all the installed sw and required the data be restored from backup (yes I have a full image backup). I tried doing the "repair" in-place Windows upgrade but that didn't fix anything.

I'll try resetting it to factory, but I really don't expect that to fix anything.

I'll join with Paul and say HELP!!!!

Brian
    Since the message came from Avira, can you try a different A/V solution?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xpuserpjc View Post
    My blasted CD/DVD drive vanished again. I don't use it that often. The original CD/DVD drive was replaced several months ago under extended warranty. When it appears and is available, computer details are:

Problem Behaviour: the CD/DVD drive will appear after startup or restart but is gone when computer is awakened from sleep. It is not in the 'Computer' Explorer window nor in Device Manager or third-party utility Speccy. It will reappear after restart. To test, I have it sleep from the Start menu command or by pressing the power button briefly. I get the same behaviour in either case.

Solutions Tried: I did have MagicISO and MagicDisc installed providing a virtual CD. Uninstalling those with a restart and sleep showed no change. I checked Event Viewer and saw many, many errors per hour for Bonjour (an Apple item that give access to Mac printers.) I uninstalled it and restarted and set it to sleep. The behaviour continues. I tried "Update Driver" in Device Manager but it states that I have the most current driver.

To verify the original model, I found an older (2012-10-19) screen capture that shows the original CD/DVD drive was the same HP model. (I do also see from another, older session that MagicISO showed up as the only CD/DVD drive in Device Manager. Might it be a player in this saga, despite removal?)

Toshiba provides a number of utilities with the computer. I tried a few--there is a "PC Diagnostic Tool"--but found no help. It shows "Skip" when CD/DVD unavailable, and "Pass" when it is and I have a CD in the drive.

but I don't see any driver for the CD/DVD. In Device Manager, I see it is using the Microsoft driver.

I can search in Google or Bing for a driver but am wary of all the results. I prefer drivers from the manufacturer.

Paul
    Have you checked HP for a CD/DVD firmware update?

Have you tried any of the solutions at Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs?

Joe

Thanks
    My CD drive doesn't show up unless I put a CD or DVD in it. Have you tried that?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

I did visit HP.com and searching on the model number was a royal pain. Search results on the HP site returned names not model numbers, "Multi-disk", etc. The Toshiba specs. list "DVD SuperMulti Double/Dual Layer" and no permutation of those terms appeared. There were several and I did check a couple. I will return there slog through the group hoping something becomes obvious.

Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    mrjimphelps,

Yes. I had a DVD in for the PC Diagnostics utility once the drive reappeared after restart. Inserting it at any other time did nothing. When I first saw that I grabbed a couple discs: a music CD; a DVD movie; a data CD or DVD. All were equally ignored. It is very odd behaviour.

Paul
    Last edited by xpuserpjc; 2014-02-23 at 21:32. Reason: got your name wrong; fixed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Decided to try a couple more things...

- went to the "Does Windows recognize your CD?" page. It assumes Device Manager shows a warning triangle on the CD/DVD drive and it doesn't even show up there. Moving on...

- restarted to F8 to "Repair Computer". No problems found. "System Restore" didn't make sense as this is a chronic problem that I only notice when I work intermittently after a start-up, when it has gone to sleep. I made no changes to bring on the problem and in checking my troubleshooting log and screen captures, I had the same behaviour months ago.

- I happen to be running OpenDNS for DNS resolution. Disabled it and tested things. No change.

- Restarted to "Safe Mode" (no networking) and the drive showed up. That would indicate third-party software trouble but then I remember this was simply another restart. It shows up then. I discovered that one cannot put the computer to Sleep from Safe Mode. Power button press doesn't sleep and it is gone from the Start menu location. Curious. So, the bottom line is I could not test for the sleep-and-gone behaviour. (I tried setting the Display to sleep after one minute but it didn't.)

- I did try to move the Microsoft cdrom.sys file to Desktop but permissions did not allow that. I was thinking I would restart and Repair Computer to get it back.

So, I soldier on when I have time. Back to other tasks. Here's hoping some Lounge reader will have an idea or two.

Cheers,

Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by xpuserpjc View Post

Paul
    As the CD drive is an HP one have you tried HP for drivers?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    I purchased a refurb CD/DVD drive for my daughter's laptop on Ebay for around $10. It works perfectly. That might be a good option about now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Finishing up here folks...

I booted from an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Live CD (took 2 tries but worked.) Chose "Try Ubuntu" and found I could "suspend" with no trouble in awakening over several tries. May not be the same as Windows sleep but the LED on the front of the laptop looked the same with its regular "winking" as it does when sleeping. Conclusion? I don't think it is the hardware; I think it is the driver.

Searching HP on both US and Australian sites shows no result for that model. Searching Google/Bing I found a thread on an HP support forum in the results and the HP moderator suggested the Microsoft FixIt program to troubleshoot:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd...problems/en-us

Naturally, if the CD/DVD drive doesn't appear in Computer window, it can do nothing. After restart and re-run, I followed its prompts, inserted a DVD to read and it found no problem.

I have to give it up, now. If I need to do something with a CD or DVD after it has awakened from sleep, I will quit all applications, saving where needed, and restart. Seems daft, but there you go.

Thanks to all posters.

Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if you have tried this but after rebooting, uninstall it from Device Manager, reboot for it to reinstate then try the sleep mode although I tend to create a restore point before carrying out ops like this on hardware.

If it is a driver problem and it worked okay before, then reinstalling may be what it needs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,

In addition to seeing your suggestion here, I saw a similar recommendation in another online search. I did try it just now

1. restart, login, and see CD/DVD (I inserted a movie to be sure. It appeared.)
    2. right-click Computer, choose Manage > Device Manager
    3. pop open CD/DVD and double click the hp item there. Select the Driver tab and choose the Uninstall button. Restart.
    4. on login, driver gets auto-installed, DVD appears. I pop into Device Manager and try update driver, it says I have the latest. Exit.
    5. put the computer to sleep, wait 5 LED blink cycles, awaken, CD/DVD gone.

Eh... it was worth a try but still no solution. Have to stick with my work-around.

To clarify: what is happening is that the CD/DVD driver is not [re]loading after sleep. If I have a CD or DVD in the drive, I hear a spin-up sound for 1 second then a spin-down sound for 1 second. It does this five times and stops.

Still open to suggestions of course.

Cheers,

Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just wondering if it's worth resetting the CMOS or checking for a BIOS update as it's the BIOS that tells Windows which drivers to load.

To reset the CMOS on a Toshiba Satellite C660, remove the AC, battery and then the RAM modules and there are two copper pads marked JCMOS which you would short for 5 secs.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-02-22 at 13:08.

Thanks
    Try running Powercfg -energy from an elevated prompt to get a report of sleep issues:
    http://lifehacker.com/5260396/hidden...-mode-problems

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast