5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Preserving Windows XP in a virtual PC

LANGALIST PLUS

Preserving Windows XP in a virtual PC

By Fred Langa

For XP users searching for ways to preserve their setups after XP's impending "end of life," using a virtual PC is an almost effortless solution. Plus: More on resolving file-sharing errors, avoiding problems with paths in command lines, and easy ways to save webpages as PDFs.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/preserving-windows-xp-in-a-virtual-pc/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

sewlady (2014-02-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I double-sandbox Fred (Virtualbox XP and Sandboxie combo). I'm pretty happy that it will be fine. I did hose IE for Iron browser and it's at least 3 to 4 times faster then IE8 (no joke) not to mention it supports HTML 5 quite well. I don't use XP for running programs; just for sandboxing my browsing to protect Win7 (don't trust anti-virus programs or Microsoft to do so; sandboxes is the way to go). I don't trust the supposed built in sandboxes within the OS or browsers in Win7 either; nothing better then an actually full fledged sandbox. I could use Ubuntu I suppose (and do have Ubuntu 64 in a virtual machine as well) but I am most comfortable with XP and I will continue to lock down XP as needed. I think XP users will be in the millions for quite a long time much to the shagrin of Microsoft. I also suspect virus authors/hackers will eventually give up on XP which will make XP an even safer OS then the latest/greatest OSs out there. Just hope to have a browser that continues to allow XP to be functional and I think I found a good one that's as good as Chrome without the spyware.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been using a VirtualBox install of XP for some time. Mainly due to some old software I occasionally use but I can't justify paying for an upgrade. And it's so much easier than dual booting and such. Plus, it gives me a test ground. I have a couple of Linux builds in there too, and an Android. ;-)

On PDF's the Firefox plugin PrintPDF works fine. I'd also recommend the Mozilla Archive Format plugin. It saves web pages, with all the bits, in a single zipped file. Opens easily in a browser for later reference and without the limitations of PDFs, like breaking a web page into printed pages.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    I've been using a VirtualBox install of XP for some time. Mainly due to some old software I occasionally use but I can't justify paying for an upgrade. And it's so much easier than dual booting and such. Plus, it gives me a test ground. I have a couple of Linux builds in there too, and an Android. ;-)

On PDF's the Firefox plugin PrintPDF works fine. I'd also recommend the Mozilla Archive Format plugin. It saves web pages, with all the bits, in a single zipped file. Opens easily in a browser for later reference and without the limitations of PDFs, like breaking a web page into printed pages.

Interesting comment on the Mozilla Archive Format plugin.
    I wasn't aware of it, thanks.

But, a question.
    If it saves 'all the bits', how does it handle scripts that could potentially be embedded?
    My concern is inadvertently copying an innocent appearing page that has had malicious script inserted that could cause a problem when opened later on.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The last inquiry in the column was from Michael Eth, who wanted to preserve web pages as PDFs. I've been using Greenprint (http://www.printgreener.com/1/greenprint-world), $19 for home users, for several years now. Its primary purpose is to allow users to print only what they want on unpaginated web sites instead of all the useless stuff. It can also save as a PDF with one click. Over the years I've saved several reams of paper. Highly recommended.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred Langa - you are my official HERO. With this article, you have fixed a problem on which I've spent ]MANY MANY frustrating hours!!!

The comment you made about "For network shares to work, both sets of Permissions — Sharing and Security — have to be in agreement" was simply gold to me! GOLD!! I never knew about two different permissions needing to be set (and none of my research mentioned it, either).

I can now access all the files on my Vista PC from my Windows 7 PC -- I was always able to go the other direction, but not this.

Oh my. This makes my subscription totally worth it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Regards, Connie