Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Time to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 for Win7?

BEST SOFTWARE

Time to upgrade to Internet Explorer 11 for Win7?

By Katherine Murray

The browser many if not most Windows users love to hate might just be getting less hate-able?

Internet Explorer for Windows 7 promises a faster and more secure browsing experience. We heard that before, but this time it might be true.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/best-softw...r-11-for-win7/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Haven't even received the new newsletter yet. lol

Anyway, I upgraded to 11 when it was first offered (have Win7 64-bit). It worked perfected fine from the get go. I don't browse the internet very much in Win7 (use an XP virtual machine as a sandbox) but when I do, it works quite fast but to be honest, so did IE10. lol

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, If you are using Win 8 there seems no way to get IE11 unless you upgrade to Win 8.1. I don't want 8.1 but I do want IE11. Any way to do this?

Why don't I want 8.1? I installed it on one of my confusers and it changed the way Explorer (file manager) looked and changed the names and look of things in it. I'm strictly using Desktop mode by the way. They don't tell you that in advance so I don't want that changed on my other confusers but do like the IE11.

Oh, woe is me.
    Last edited by cosmicdust; 2014-02-20 at 20:39. Reason: clarification

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I let Win 7 (64bit) upgrade to IE 11 at the end of last month, and much to my surprise, it upgraded me to the 32bit version. Another dumb Windows trick <sigh>.

Thanks
    My MS Updates had IE 11 unchecked, but I checked it off a couple of months ago. It downloaded and worked just fine, and I also got some post-install MS Updates to improve IE 11's performance. This is on Windows 7 HP 64-bits with Automatic Updates turned off. So far, all websites and all tested plugins are working just fine.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE installation fails

I cannot install IE 10 or IE 11 on my Windows 7 64 bit OS with SP1. It fails, and there is no error message other than "IE did not finish installing" with a link to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2872074. I tried all the steps on this page to no avail. My machine has all the hardware requirements to run this version. So I am stuck at version 9.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have to download the installer itself from Windows website and right-click run as administrator Charles.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    "A Feb. 14 Computerworld story reported that newly revealed and unpatched vulnerabilities in IE 9 and IE 10 have put one-third of those browsers’ users at risk of infection."

No; it said "... about a third of all those using Internet Explorer ...", because IE9 and IE10 account for about one third of all IE users.

(But that was before the Microsoft Fix it.)

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I say just the opposite, time to bury IE forever, it works so much more consistently when that Windows feature is turned off.
    The platform update and I.E. 10 incompatibilities with some video subsystems was the last straw for me because it went from passively bad (only if used) to aggressively bad (merely updating to it messes up some systems) and since the web interface is no longer needed for WU, it is not missed in the least. Life is too short to include I.E.!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    I say just the opposite, time to bury IE forever, it works so much more consistently when that Windows feature is turned off.
    The platform update and I.E. 10 incompatibilities with some video subsystems was the last straw for me because it went from passively bad (only if used) to aggressively bad (merely updating to it messes up some systems) and since the web interface is no longer needed for WU, it is not missed in the least. Life is too short to include I.E.!
    YMMV. I USE iE 11 on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 with no problems except for the occasional need to use compatibility view. Several of my clients also use IE and I haven't heard of any complaints. Use whichever browser you are comfortable with.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, I suspect within a fairly narrow band (which is actually quite wide but not per user or business) of system variables I.E. will work just fine. My systems tend to run the gamut, from single core to six core, from modern to functional antiques (insofar they still run Win7), if not home built then often modified OEMs; so if there are bugaboos to be seen, I'll probably see one or two, and over time, I learn which programs I can depend on across the board and which I cannot. I.E. is not the worst program on the planet, just not good enough for me.

Also the very existence of articles like this is indicative to say the least, else the subject should not need broaching so often.

Thanks
    I wouldn't presume to suggest you use IE or any other browser if you are happy with whatever browser you choose. It just irritates me that because a IE didn't serve didn't serve your purposes, it means "its time to bury IE". Just be happy with your choice and let others that are just as happy with IE enjoy thier choice.

Also the very existence of articles like this is indicative to say the least, else the subject should not need broaching so often.
    I've seen negative posts on Safari, Firefox and Chrome as well. Doesn't stop me from using those browsers either. As I've said before, I'm browser agnostic. I use them all from time to time and they all work for me and on a variety of hardware also.

Jerry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

RA-BH (2015-08-13)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Then it can't be me you're irritated with (but I know the type) because I've been consciously using IE since version 5.5 and looking back I realized no version has ever been totally satisfactory, even when there was no alternative of note to compare with. Not sure I used 11, maybe on Win 8 for a while, but regardless, judgement is not based either in subjective logic nor temporal specificity. However, there was a seminal moment; either I.E.10 or platform prerequisite KB2670838 in combination screwed up 2 of the first three systems it was put on (legacy graphics so no upgrade direction there to try and sort the problem that way).

I've come to expect a browser to stay open constantly and stably run up to 20 tabs for 6 months or until an update requires a relaunch and in this case, that horse had two broken legs before it even got to the gate. Add to that that I.E. 9, 10 and 11 do not run in XP, whilst other very up to date browsers do. Is there some feature I'm consequently missing in those browsers? Is there something to be said for uniform performance across 12 years worth (not 12 years actual) of Windows operating systems, or not? Ironic or not that that uniform performance is not stemming from the creators? In other words, even if I.E. 8 were up to my standards, should I use it in XP alongside or in preference to the up to date browser of choice?

For me usage does indeed create a history of events that go into the for and against columns, I only see a preponderance of posts that confirm the leanings, not in any way derived from them; and the spin that that is because I.E. is the most used browser, I counter with non mobile browser webpage usage stats AND the MaximumPC joke that wouldn't be funny otherwise; "yeah, that's because they have to use it to download Chrome!" Some of that can be explained by Microsoft going cold turkey on XP but even as XP declines the inverse relationship grows. I take a look at that data and think, yeah, I know exactly why it's trending that way, it coincides with my experiences. I don't defend it for a minute, take it for what it is or not because it's not a fleck of skin off my nose.

Thanks
    For your usage that may be true. As I said, I wouldn't presume to dictate what browser you use. My experience with IE 11 (and 10 before that) has been positive in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I don't keep 20 tabs open (4 or 5 most of the time) so I can't comment on IE's reliability in that environment. But only a minority of users do that. I personally haven't seen a preponderance of posts negative to IE. Infact I see more negative Firefox posts but in both cases they are from a minority of users. People tend to post only when they have issues, not when things are working.

Again, if you dislike IE, enjoy the browser you use. I'll enjoy all of them. IE 11 is my default browse on my Windows 7 desktop and Chrome is my default browser on my Windows 8.1 laptop but I occasionally use the other on each.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update to IE 11 with caution!

After updating from IE10 to 11 on my Win7 64-bit configuration, gadgets no longer displayed properly and some page fonts were a bit out of focus. Turns out that IE11 does not play well if you have the screen display set to 125% dpi. Removal of IE11 gets things back to "normal". See this link for more info: windows 7 gadgets disappear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast