New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook stopped signing in to ISP Cox

Suddenly my ISP Cox keeps rejecting Outlook attempts to log on. Cox claims because I can log on to their webmail, "not Cox's problem".
    I have the same problem with desktop and laptop PCs. I have tried creating new accounts in Outlook, but none can log on. I am running Windows8 and nothing has changed for months. it just quit working. Could Windows8 be involved in this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you checked the Cox support to see if they changed the ports used?

Do you get any specific error message?

Joe

Thanks
    If your webmail access works, then all that means is that you have a valid email account with Cox.

If Outlook access no longer works, then something changed either at Cox or on your computer.

You should be logged into your account via the web in order to create accounts. You should then be able to create profiles for those accounts in Outlook. Call Cox tech support and ask you to walk through the setup for each new account in Outlook.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved.
    After getting no help from Cox I tried Thunderbird email client with the same result. I then added a new Cox email account. I was able to use Outlook to access it. I then went back to Cox with this information and at the second level technical support they admitted they had a virus that impacted password tables. A new password fixed the problem. I am outraged that their technical support blew me off for days when they knew there was a problem and the fix was simple.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rnwells View Post
    I am outraged that their technical support blew me off for days when they knew there was a problem and the fix was simple.
    The fix might not have been apparent to them right away. Also, they might not have been completely sure that it was totally resolved, and so they held off telling people what was going on.

Sometimes it not as simple as it seems for us IT folks. We don't always tell every little thing to the users, because to do so would cause them to lose confidence in us (perception is a major issue with users); and for an IT outfit like Cox who deals mainly with the general public, not internal users, they have to be very careful what they say and when, so that they minimize the possibility of lawsuits.