5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where are Contacts/Addresses for K-9 Mail App?

I am trying to use my Galaxy tablet to handle my email occasionally. My actual mail box is on FastMail.fm and I have the tablet and my laptop accessing the messages fine, using the IMAP interface in each case. However, on the tablet I don't have any Contacts list (stored email addresses). Does anyone know how to make my address list available to the app in the tablet? Is there a better app to use for this purpose? I use Thunderbird on the laptop and the address list is stored in thunderbird, and I also have a list of addresses stored in the FastMail account.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    On the Fastmail web page select Settings > Contacts and select the vcard format.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    On the Fastmail web page select Settings > Contacts and select the vcard format.
    OK, Paul, that sounds like I am going to output the contacts in vcard format but what do I do with the output file?

Thanks for responding.
    Bill

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Move the vcard file to your tablet and import them, K9 will now be able to use the contacts. You can also import the contacts into Gmail and K9 will be able to see / use them.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been aware of the term vcard for a long time but I don't know what the actual format is. It seems that thunderbird exports addresses in only a format called ldif or csv format with either comma or tab deliminters. I don't know if the LDIF format is the same a the vcard. Here is a sample from a LDIF file for anyone who knows what a vcard file looks like.

dn: mail=geezerrdoc2@ntelos.net
    objectclass: top
    objectclass: person
    objectclass: organizationalPerson
    objectclass: inetOrgPerson
    objectclass: mozillaAbPersonAlpha
    givenName: Tony
    sn: Jones
    mail: geezerrdoc2@ntelos.net
    modifytimestamp: 0

Is this the same as the vcard format?

Thanks,
    Bill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You've got your tablet tied to a gmail account, right? On your computer, export your tbird contacts to a comma-delimited csv file, open a web browser and login to your gmail acct, go to google.com/contacts and import the csv file. Your contacts are now in gmail and will automatically be synced with the tablet's contacts list (assuming you've got sync turned on in the tablet's "accounts" settings). Now K9 can use those contacts. (Implicit in Paul's reply, in case you didn't catch it, is that K9 does not maintain its own address book. It uses the tablet's contacts list.)

BTW, while you're at it, that interim csv file gives you a nice chance to edit/clean up the entries in Excel before dumping them into gmail. Just remember to keep the file in csv format when you resave it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't had a chance to try anything more in the last few days but I will pretty soon. I actually don't know if I have the tablet tied to a Gmail account! If that was required at some point when I began, I would have done that, I do have a Gmail account because one was required at some point in the past but I don't actually use it for email. I have a IMAP connection from my laptop and also K-9 in my tablet to my actual email account on FastMail.fm. I plan to export my contacts from Thunderbird and import them directly in to the Contacts on the tablet. I've been told that that will make them available to K-9.

You're right that the CSV file is a handy place to clean out the contacts list.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Bill