New Lounger
    Thanks

60 secs hang on printing to network print server

I have an HP Photosmart D5160 connected to a Netgear PS121 print server, which I've set up as default printer under Win7 via a standard TCP/IP port, so as to be available to any computer in the house. There is no Windows driver for the print server so I set it up as a Generic device, Raw protocol, port 9100, SNMP disabled.

This works fine for nearly everything (though the HP maintenance utility is unable to query ink levels, but I can connect via USB now and then for that).

However, in Word, Excel and Powerpoint (2010), if I select the Print tab, it says "Connecting to printer..." for 60 secs before showing the printer as Ready. Likewise, if I click Printer Properties or the Print button, there's a 60 sec delay before anything happens.

There is no such delay in Publisher, Access or Outlook, or any non-Microsoft programs that I've tried, nor with the same printer from a WinXP machine, also running Office 2010, nor when I connect the printer directly to a USB port on the Win7 machine.

By the time it's detected the printer as ready, I've checked the printer preferences, and clicked the Print button, it's a full 3 minutes before anything comes out of the printer, which is completely unacceptable.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Regards - Philip

Thanks
    I'm not sure of the answer to your issue, but here's how we have set up an HP LaserJet 6P as a network printer using a Linksys print server, and we have no problem whatsoever such as you have described, or any other problem. If you follow these steps, I believe you will resolve the issue you are experiencing.

We assigned a static IP address to the print server. I'll say 192.168.0.100, for purposes of this example. This makes the print server, and therefore the printer, available on the network and easy to link to.

(No driver was necessary for the print server, only for the printer.)

Then, on each computer, we did the following:

Add a printer.
    Add a local printer.
    Create a new port: Standard TCP/IP port. Next.
    Hostname or IP address: 192.168.0.100
    Port name: HPLJ6P (pick any name you like; I chose one which was similar to the printer name). Next.
    Device Type: Standard. Generic Network Card (If you see your specific print server listed, pick it rather than Generic Network Card). Next.
    Now you will select your printer driver. Mine appears in the list, so I selected it. If you can't find it, download it or try Windows Update.
    It's straightforward from this point forward. The only comment I would make is that you don't need to share the printer, because it is already being shared via your Netgear print server.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-02-21 at 13:16.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I'm not sure of the answer to your issue, but here's how we have set up an HP LaserJet 6P as a network printer using a Linksys print server, and we have no problem whatsoever such as you have described, or any other problem. If you follow these steps, I believe you will resolve the issue you are experiencing.

We assigned a static IP address to the print server. I'll say 192.168.0.100, for purposes of this example. This makes the print server, and therefore the printer, available on the network and easy to link to.

(No driver was necessary for the print server, only for the printer.)

Then, on each computer, we did the following:

Add a printer.
    Add a local printer.
    Create a new port: Standard TCP/IP port. Next.
    Hostname or IP address: 192.168.0.100
    Port name: HPLJ6P (pick any name you like; I chose one which was similar to the printer name). Next.
    Device Type: Standard. Generic Network Card (If you see your specific print server listed, pick it rather than Generic Network Card). Next.
    Now you will select your printer driver. Mine appears in the list, so I selected it. If you can't find it, download it or try Windows Update.
    It's straightforward from this point forward. The only comment I would make is that you don't need to share the printer, because it is already being shared via your Netgear print server.

I have something very similar set up on my home network....minus the print server. I shared mine across the network on the PC it's connected and then made sure the shares were on the rest of the PCs on the home network (wired and wireless machines), then manually select add printer on each PC of the network...everybody can print with no problems

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you mrjimphelps - that's exactly how I set mine up. Maybe your print server is more intelligent than mine - can you use the HP printer utility to query toner levels through it? According to Zenmap, my print server accepts ports 21, 23, 80, 139, 515, 631 and 9100 - possibly I need a driver which knows about 631 (ipp).

Thanks
    I don't have a utility which gives me that info for the HP LaserJet 6P, and I am limited as to what I can install on my computer, because it is a corporate computer.

Several years ago I set up an HP printer/scanner/copier/fax at home as a network printer/scanner, using the method I described above, and I was able to check ink levels from a computer using the HP software. That printer was purchased around 2003.

Thanks
    As a matter of interest, I don't suppose you have any 'print to PDF' pseudo print devices (e.g Foxit Reader, Cute PDF, etc.) installed which are commonly attached to only the main Office apps (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint)?

If so, Windows 7 and/or Office 2010 may be using built-in 'device polling' to work out the availability of such 'print to' devices (not so much a problem with XP which does less of an interrogation of availability).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Rick - and yes, I do have CutePDF (as well as the Microsoft XPS Document Writer and Send To OneNote). I might try uninstalling CutePDF later. So what brain-dead logic dictates that you have to wait 60 secs to see whether CutePDF is going to join the party, and is there no way to knock some sense into it??

Regards - Philip

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Uninstalling CutePDF has no effect.

Looking at the problem with Wireshark, it appears that Windows is polling the device with numerous SNMP requests (none of which receive replies), despite the SNMP Status Enabled checkbox being clear in the TCP/IP Port settings.

This would seem to be the nub of the problem. Is there any way to prevent it?

Regards - Philip

Thanks
    Looking at the problem with Wireshark, it appears that Windows is polling the device with numerous SNMP requests
    Which device is it polling? The printer in question?

Thanks
    Do you have SNMP enabled in Windows Features?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-02-25 at 03:45. Reason: Corrected appalling grammar

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it was polling the print server. (What else?!?) SNMP is not enabled in Windows Features - anyway, as far as I can make out, this is SNMP services and hence nothing to do with client actions, which is what we're concerned with.

However, I seem to have found the solution. Thumbing through some old CDs for something unrelated, I came across the one that came with this print server. I'd forgotten it came with one (cheap off eBay). It predates Win7 but had a Vista setup utility which I decided was worth a try. The delay is now reduced to a few seconds.

It seems that it set up the Standard TCP/IP port as LPR (port 514) instead of Raw (9100), which is what I'd been using. It still polls the printer using SNMP, but it now only polls 8 times, all requesting the same MIB and all within a few seconds before Office responds, rather than dozens of ties for all sorts of different MIBs as before.

Thank you all for encouraging me to pursue this problem to a resolution.

Regards - Philip