2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repeated fields within a word document

I have a document with several sections to it. At the top of each section is a reference number and description that appears at the beginning of the section.

How can I enter the reference number once in the field on the first page, and have it replicate throughout the repeated field all through the document? In Excel it would be simple - just "=B3" for the cell to replicate.... but in Word?

Thanks in advance!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You could put the reference number into the page header or footer. That will automatically repeat on all pages. If you assign a unique Style to wherever you're inserting the reference number once in the field on the first page, you can use a StyleRef field in the page header to automatically pick up the details.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The header option won't work, because its the start of a section (or chapter) which sometimes has quite a few pages.

I am not too clued up on the StyleREfs that you speak of.... how would that work?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    The header option won't work, because its the start of a section (or chapter) which sometimes has quite a few pages.
    perhaps you could explain WHY you think it won't work???
    I am not too clued up on the StyleREfs that you speak of.... how would that work?
    You insert one into the header or footer, with the appropriate Style name as it's argument. That's all there is to it. See Insert|Quick Parts|Field>StyleRef.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The same number and title of the Document is set up on the cover of the document. The same information (including a logo) is included at the start of each chapter - only the first page of the Chapter.

As I have several similar documents to produce, each with a different number and title, I want to ensure that these are correctly identified throughout the Word document. I would like to do something like The Form Tool does, except without having to type the info into a separate table at the end of the document. I also don't want to need third party installations or add-ons to Word - I am sure that Word can do this itself.

The Title and Number are essentially reference numbers that need to be included in specific places in the Word Document.

Is it possible to create a field, and then use it in more than one location within the document? That would mean that you change the content of the field once, and it is automatically populated elsewhere in the document, where the field is inserted.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are many ways of replicating data in a document.

Using StyleRef fields in a header or footer is one of the simplest and can be used to replicate the content in every page's header/footer without further intervention.

Equally simply, you can bookmark something and insert cross-references to it - from anywhere in the document - but those don't update dynamically (Ctrl-A, F9 or a Print Preview usually suffices).

For a plethora of options, see: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p...ting_data.html. No need for any third-party product!
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul.... that's what I was looking for....

Now to work on the F1 deciphering, and seeing how to make it work in my templates.!!
    Thanks