Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Font-size issue after reinstall

My Dell 4700 hard drive crashed last week. After a new drive and reinstalling XP from my Dell disk the fonts on all pages (even start up screen) are very small, light in color and hard to read - nothing like the was it was before the crash. I have played with every setting and Googled for the last four days but can't seem to find the correct "fix". I did a search here but I guess i'm not wording it correctly with key words. Can anyone help? Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A screen shot might help determine what's up. Otherwise the only thing I can think of to suggest, which you already probably applied is resolution changes and theme changes provided the correct video drivers are already installed. The silver theme with small fonts on a high resolution screen might reproduce what you're describing. If so, merely change those appearance properties in display manager.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    A screen shot might help determine what's up. Otherwise the only thing I can think of to suggest, which you already probably applied is resolution changes and theme changes provided the correct video drivers are already installed. The silver theme with small fonts on a high resolution screen might reproduce what you're describing. If so, merely change those appearance properties in display manager.
    SL, thanks for responding. My theme is set at blue with extra large fonts. The print that i'm looking at now is very small and light like other websites. I'll gladly post a screen shot if you would kindly tell me how. Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Is everything just small and light in the browser you're using or everywhere on the computer? If the former, what browser? Did you try a different one? Some will let you easily set a zoom factor, the default one is usually too small for aging eyes like mine. I set mine anywhere between 125 and 150% bigger than the default (in Chrome).

You can take a screenshot of your desktop anytime by pressing the PrtScr key. That loads the snapshot onto the clipboard from which it can be pasted as an image into any photo editor, even Paint will work, crop if need be and save in jpg format and use the advanced button in reply to manage attachments (select and upload) to a post.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's everything, everywhere. Outlook Express, any website. I'm using IE8 and Chrome. Condition exists in both. All the tool bars, windows....even the boot screen is small. Everything is like minature. I can adjust the zoom to 125 or so but that does not help in with e-mail or the quick launch icons. Even when I go into Control panel and then start opening windows to make changes those are small and barely readable. Again, this started after I had to replace the hard drive last week and reload the OS with the factory disk. None of this was an issue before so I believe that it is a setting somewhere in XP. This webpage is small/light unless i adjust to 125%.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well the only other two settings I know of that can affect the size of things system-wide (besides theme settings) are resolution under display properties>settings tab AND under display properties>settings tab>advanced button>General tab you will see a DPI setting. Normally that's 96 but setting it to 120 DPI will increase the size of all the fonts. The drawback of using 120 is there probably will be some text on some fixed size windows that doesn't fit properly. My best guess from what you describe though is just a screen resolution difference between what it was set to before the factory reset and after.

Thanks
    Did you download and install the chipset and video drivers from Dell after re-installing XP?

Can you click on Start then Run... and enter devmgmt.msc to bring up Device Manager. Are there any question marks or exclamation marks against any of the devices (especially Display adapters)?

Click on the plus sign next to Display adapters and let us know what display adapter is shown.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No question marks or !. Display adapter (shows two of them) INTEL(R)82915G/GV/910DL express chipset family. Also shows two "default monitors".
    Last edited by jimmie jam; 2014-02-23 at 19:58.

Thanks
    Two graphics adapters showing in Device Manager would be normal if your Dell 4700 had one of the optional graphics cards supporting both VGA and DVI out. However, I sounds like yours has just the integrated VGA out.

To double-check what your PC has you can enter your Dell Service Tag here and use the Dell PC Diagnostics service.

If you only have one monitor then I don't know about the 2 default monitors shown but would guess one's a 'generic PnP' and the other 'generic non-PnP' if it hasn't correctly identified your actual monitor or unless an .inf file was loaded for the monitor. Sorry but I don't have any experience of the Dell 4700 itself so I don't know whether the re-install media includes the appropriate drivers as well as the OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran the diagnostics on the 21st and everything checked out o.k.. This small font thig is driving me crazy.....

Thanks
    Corrupt font cache?

Try renaming C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT to FNTCACHE.DAT.old and re-boot.

(Actually, you could just delete the file because Windows will automatically recreate it but I'm aware that many people - quite rightly - don't like the idea of just deleting system files.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Corrupt font cache?

Try renaming C:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT to FNTCACHE.DAT.old and re-boot.

(Actually, you could just delete the file because Windows will automatically recreate it but I'm aware that many people - quite rightly - don't like the idea of just deleting system files.)
    Rick, how do I do this? I typed it in "run" and it said that it could not open this file.
    Last edited by jimmie jam; 2014-02-24 at 19:22.

Thanks
    1. Open a new Explorer window by either double-clicking on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop or by clicking Start > My Computer.
    2. Double-click on Local Disk (C.
    3. Double-click on the Windows folder.
    4. Scroll down and double-click on the System32 folder.
    5. Scroll down to the FNTCACHE.DAT file, click on it once to select it then press the DEL key.
    6. Re-start the PC.

The FNTCACHE.DAT file will be re-created. Let us know if this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Followed your instructions.....no change at all.

Thanks
    Can you please confirm your display settings:
    1. Right-click on a blank area of the desktop and select Properties from the context menu.

2. On the Appearance tab, please confirm the setting for Font size:.
    appearance.jpg
    (Click on picture to enlarge)

3. On the Settings tab, please confirm the settings for Display: and Screen resolution.
    display_properties.jpg

4. Still on the Settings tab, please click on the Advanced button and confirm the DPI setting.
    advanced.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast