New Lounger
    Thanks

Exe downloading issue

I have had the following problem with two different applications in the past week, the first time I have experienced it. Both times, I was downloading an application -- the recently-free Acrobat 8 from Techspot's link, and an encryption program update from Kruptos. I have never had a problem downloading to my user Windows (7) account and started there. The Kruptos file appeared, as downloads do, with an exe icon and an exe.part icon, but when the download finished, the latter stayed and exe icon simply vanished after about 30 seconds. I tried it several times. I finally had better luck from my administrator account.
    With acrobat, I downloaded fine to my user account, but then brought the file over to my admin desktop to run the exe. all fine until the file extraction got to 99%, where it stayed for 15 minutes. On cancelling it, Windows said the program had a problem an d it would look for a solution. I rebooted. A second (1.5-hour) download directly to the admin downloads folder resulted in the problem I had had with Kruptos: the exefile (0 KB) vanished and the 489MB exe.part file stayed. I tried renaming the part by removing the part. The icon changed tot he Adobe one, but when I tried to run it, the extraction once again hung at 99%
    I'm stumped. could this be something in my security settings, such as firewall blocking outgoing data or something in my browser?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Using Firefox (or some other download manager)?

You could try using IE (to see if it's Firefox).

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have noted, it has happened with both Firefox and Explorer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A download manager then?

I don't think IE will ever create .part files on its own.

Bruce

Thanks
    Some applications (browser, download manager) temporarily append a ".part" to the tail-end of file name until it can verify that the download is indeed complete. Once it is, it simply removes the ".part".

The reason for doing this is is so you can tell if a file is, or is not complete. If the download is interrupted for some reason, you'll only have an unusable, incomplete "some_filename.exe.part" in your download folder.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I'm not sure what is keeping these files from downloading completely. This never used to happen. I don't think I have a download manager; no Adobe DM in my control panel. I did uninstall two versions of 7Zip this morning, something I got on two occasions in the past without really asking for it. The Acrobat 8 is huge, of course. Perhaps I'll try it again with IE, but I use Firefox virtually always. My computer life is pretty simple as things go these days.

Thanks
    How is your computer connected to the 'net? Wireless, Wired, ... any Powerline Adapters?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally gave up on the Acrobat installation, after going offline so that I could disable both firewall and AV applications. It still hung at 99% and then said the installer had stopped working. I don't need Acrobat so much; it would have been nice.

Thanks
    FWIW, I just tried downloading and installing this "Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 Free" from Techspot using Windows XP Pro in a VM and everything worked as it should.

Do you have another computer that you could try downloading it with? Or maybe get a relative/friend to download it for you and put it on a CD or USB key?

Thanks
    Hi Ulowin - Like SpywareDr, I too have successfully downloaded "Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 Free" from Techspot, both the Windows and Mac versions, from the link you provided.

What anti-virus program are you using? It sounds like either the download itself is being blocked by your AV or that the subsequent check by your AV of any completed download is not completing, hence why you are only seeing the interim 'part' file.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I had downloaded from Techspot with IE and gotten the complete file, as far as I know. I'll see if someone else can provide me a copy. Glad to hear it's working.