Thread: Hesitation

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hesitation

Since updating to Windows 7... and then Windows 8, I've noticed that after I leave the machine for a while, when I come back to it, even though the screen and keyboard are 'alive', when I do -anything- the first time that requires disk activity, it hesitates for 3-4 seconds before it 'comes to life'... and then all is normal until I go away. I've checked the power settings and it's not 'sleeping' so I wonder if this is normal, or if not, how to troubleshoot.

As I said, I thought this was just on one machine (the first machine I had Windows 7 on) but then I recently added a 2nd Windows 8 PC and it does the same thing. Oddly, my 3rd machine (laptop) doesn't do this.

Ideas?

TIA.

---JC

Thanks
    Sounds like the hard drive may be set to power down after a certain period of inactivity, and then it takes a couple of seconds for it to spin back up to speed.

Thanks
    Go to Control Panel > Power Options to see what your settings are.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

suntower (2014-02-23)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey thanks. The power setting was set to 'Always On' but when I looked under 'Advanced'... the setting for HD was sleep after 20 minutes. Weird. I thought 'Always On' meant, 'Always On'. Didn't realise there were so many levels.

Not sure if this is the cure, but seems promising.

Cheers,

---JC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by suntower View Post
    Hey thanks. The power setting was set to 'Always On' but when I looked under 'Advanced'... the setting for HD was sleep after 20 minutes. Weird. I thought 'Always On' meant, 'Always On'. Didn't realise there were so many levels.

Not sure if this is the cure, but seems promising.

Cheers,

---JC
    That should get it, as SpywareDr said, that's the most likely culprit.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows