2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I find the PC/device that's using all the bandwidth to access the internet?

How can I find the PC/device that's using all the bandwidth to access the internet?

I am trying to find out why a small network that I support often experiences drastic slowdown in its access to the internet. Apparently, some PC or device is using a lot of bandwidth, but I'm not sure which one or how to find it. I looked for solutions with Google and found lots of suggested network monitors. I finally tried something called "PRTG Network Monitor." However, the setup was so confusing I couldn't make it work. Also, the sample reports for this Network Monitor showed lots of data and graphs, but I still wasn't sure how to answer the simple question, which PC/device is using all the bandwidth? So I am wondering if anyone knows of a SIMPLE network monitor that will simply and clearly show me which PC/device is using the bandwidth to access the internet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing to investigate is what might be uploading at those times it slows down. Usually upload bandwidth is much more restricted than down and any cloud syncing can easily suck up all that bandwidth which stops ACK packets from other Internet accessing programs getting out in a timely manner to acknowledge packets received. I have a program that I must limit to approximately 2/3rds of the upload bandwidth or else everything else Internet-related slows to a crawl.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    What sort of router do you have? You may be able to view the stats on it.
    You could set up an old PC with 2 network cards running Smoothwall to monitor it.
    A packet capture program piggybacking the router connection may work.
    Or load software on all machines that reports to a central location.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you tell us more about this network?
    If your ISP is cable TV, neighbor(s) can slow you down.
    If your devices are all wirelessly connected, your router is essentially a hub. Even intranet traffic can affect internet performance.
    If (I hope) your devices are all wired, check the router's blinky lights during a slowdown. I can tell when my wife watches a video from two floors away.