Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Macrium Reflect-free version- and have not complaints. However, need to know what others are doing when the backup drive gets near the full capacity???

Bob

Thanks
    I don't do incremental backups, just drive images. I only need to keep the last two or three in order to cover most any contingency. To make room, I just delete the oldest image files that I don't want to keep.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Like bbearren and RockE, I use "Image for Windows" from TeraByte Unlimited. Also like bbearren, I do only whole image backups. I store the most recent image set (for my various partitions) on a dedicated partition on my second internal drive. Then I copy the image set to a 1.5TB Seagate external drive. If I need to restore using an image that I had moved off the internal drive, I copy it back there before restoring. I'm just being cautious. When I backup, I use the "validate byte by byte" option. Then I open each image file with the (free) companion product TBIView. That gives me confidence that the image file is good. TBIView also allows you to extract files from an image, which I have done on occasion. Although "Image for Windows" is the product I bought, I normally use the included "Image for DOS", as this works on a bootable DVD. I feel a bit safer with that. My first internal drive is an Intel SSD, which contains my "System" partition. About six months ago I had a troublesome time (which turned out to be due to bad RAM) where I was doing quite a bit of backup and restoring, and I never had a problem with the imaging software.
    Last edited by twolery; 2014-04-16 at 11:12.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to know your opinion on keeping a external drive hooked up all the time for using for back ups? I have read that some say ok to do and others say not to.
    Thanks,mosie
    In mourning for my Win XP Desktop while using a HP laptop Win8.1
    Some times I am confused an some times not.

Thanks
    Mosie,

IMHO backup drives should only be connected when they are being actively used to either backup or restore. The whole point is to keep your data safe from hardware/software/malware problems. If the drive is constantly connected it is susceptible to all three. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

mosie (2014-04-15)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mosie View Post
    I would like to know your opinion on keeping a external drive hooked up all the time for using for back ups? I have read that some say ok to do and others say not to.
    Thanks,mosie
    You'll likely get a number of opinions on that question.

I use a combination. I have an external NexStar SATA drive dock that can be connected via either USB or eSATA (it can dock any size SATA HDD). That one I disconnect when not in use. It can also be left connected and just powered off. I use it as a target for drive images for my two laptops. I also copy drive images of my desktop there from time to time. It currently has a 1TB Seagate SATA HDD docked in it.

I also use a 3TB NAS, a Seagate GoFlex Home, and it stays connected via Ethernet to my home network router. It powers itself down automatically when not being accessed. It's powered down at the moment. I use that as target for my desktop, mainly, but I also have drive images of my two laptops stored on it, as well.

I also have an internal 1TB mounted in my desktop that is a target for drive images when I'm tinkerin' with my desktop. It also holds copies of drive images from my laptops.

So I use multiple methods with multiple internal/external drives, and copies of drive images scattered around, so that I don't have all my eggs in one basket.

>>>edit<<< I just saw RG's reply. My NAS is always connected to my home network, but it is also password protected, and my ISP blocks direct access to it, even if the correct password is used. Also, my drive dock can be powered down and left connected, which leaves it inaccessible, as well. It's power button is a hard (as opposed to software) switch, and can't be bypassed.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-04-15 at 18:22. Reason: clarity
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For backup images, I used dedicated external drives that I only connect when I need them. These little drives (the ones without power bricks) are fairly cheap now, so you could have a different one connected all the time just for extra storage if you like. You are at least marginally safer using a dedicated drive for backups that is only connected when you need it. Anything connected is at some minor risk of a fall, a power spike, accidental erasure, or damage caused by malware. Assess your own situation and risk tolerance and plan accordingly. Good luck!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I can not believe all the different opinions on this, from different tech's. I have a W.D. My Book 250GB have tons stored on it from xp.I think will put an Macrium Reflect image on it from new laptop an put away.But will get another external drive to leave plugged in for constant saving from this GenieTimeLine. One tech said wear n tear on constant plugging in an unplugging
    not good,and Leo B. (of ask leo) leaves his plugged in for constant backups.Emsisoft keeps it all safe. ;-)
    In mourning for my Win XP Desktop while using a HP laptop Win8.1
    Some times I am confused an some times not.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried Acronis for a disk image to put on a USB hard drive. The creation of the image went well. Then I disconnected the USB drive to put in safe storage. Acronis constantly nagged me that the designated drive for my image was not connected. I tried to turn off the nagging to no avail. Uninstalling Acronis did NOT go well. It caused so much headache that I resorted to my Windows backup from the day before I installed Acronis. Your experience may be different, but I will not use Acronis again.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    You are not alone here; when Acronis is used manually (only), it seems to work well. Anything other than "plain vanilla" usage, however...

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2014-07-02 at 10:42.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12