2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need to extend C: partition on Win7 computer.

My desktop computer is Win7. When I first set it up I created a primary partition for C: I set it to 60G. The remainder of the hard drive is an extended partition divided into sections for storage and documents. The first section of the extended partition is a 40G partition that was reserved for future use. It is currently unused. It is adjacent to the C: partition, but located in an extended partition. Over time several very large applications have been added which want large potions of that C: partition. Namely, Photoshop and video editing applications. With the installation on a new video editing program, I now use 55G of the 60G C: partition. I feel it is time to extend the C: partition to have more free space.
    However, I remember reading that Win7 is not openly friendly to changing the C: partition when the OS is installed there. I have available, Partition Wizard and the paid version of Paragon Suite. Before proceeding I would like to ask comments, suggestions, cautions, procedures???
    Michael

Thanks
    If you have a partition that is empty then you can use it to extend the primary.
    If the empty partition is located on the opposite side of other partitions that have data in them, then you will have to do some
    juggling/resizing, so to speak to get the empty space lined up closer to the primary.

irrigardless of what you do, ensure that you have a backup in place prior to beginning any partition resizing or shuffling.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2014-02-25)

Thanks
    You will have to delete the 40G 'reserved' partition (it's actually a logical drive) from the extended partition in order to make it available for use. A primary partition (your C: drive) cannot be extended into an Extended Partition, only into free space on the hard drive that is adjacent to the C: drive.

Deleting the 'reserved' partition will in all likelihood put the empty space after the Extended Partition, and it will have to be moved adjacent to the C: partition.

As CLiNT said, make sure to backup (or better yet, image all partitions) before you make any changes.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Michael,

As CLiNT said and Bbearren restated make that Image backup of your entire drive.

Then do the following:
    1. Delete the 40Gb empty drive in the Logical Partition.
    2. Shrink the Logical Partition by 40Gb.
    3. Make sure the empty space is between the C: partition/drive and the Logical partition if not use the partitioning software to move it there.
    4. Extend the C: partition/drive into the unallocated space.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys
    It is always reassuring to have reminders before starting something potentially troublesome. My setup is to have the C: partition for the OS and other partitions for storing data and docs. I then image the OS partition and sync the docs partition to my external USB storage.
    I used Partition Wizard 8 for the C: resizing procedure. My partition wizard is on a portable flash drive. After booting to the flash, I simply resized the 40G reserved partition to 20G. That left 20G free space next to C:. And then resized the C: partition to 80G. All went well. There were no problems. Things are running fine now.
    When the video editor is running, I use 55G of C: and have 25G free. I think that is reasonable. Just a tidbit, but, my reason for making 40G reserved when I installed Win7 was to have a place to install WinXp in the event I was unhappy with Win7. That never happened. I have been happy with Win7 since installing.
    Thanks again, all your encouraging comments are appreciated.
    Michael