New Lounger
    Thanks

creating outlook express on a new windows7 pro 64bit machine

hello,how can i migrate a complete outlook express email program from an active xp pro 32bit machine, to my new windows7 pro 64 bit machine, which does not have an email acct. (program) set up on it yet?

Thanks
    Sorry but I've never heard of anyone being able to find a way of migrating the Outlook Express program itself.

If it WAS possible then I would have thought a Google search would have provided results... but I can't see any (and, if it WAS possible, I would have done it long ago! )

It IS possible to migrate the OE mail store but I don't think that's what you are asking.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, but it's a workaround. Install XP Mode and run it from there, it seems to integrate into the Windows 7 start menu but it is actually running in the XP Mode VM, so you would basically set up an entire operating system that would consume a couple gigs of disk space to run Outlook Express if that were the only interest.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hello, thanks for the repls and ideas. i was hoping to keep it simple, maybe thru a burnt ISO disc transfer. i would like to save this programs ten years worth of history if i can. the idea of an xp vm has some appeal.

Thanks
    If you are considering the VM option, here's one way to move your email.

If you have an email account which has a big mailbox and allows for IMAP, you could set up that email account for IMAP access in Outlook Express, and then move all of your email to the IMAP folders.

Then in the VM, set up the same email account in Outlook Express for IMAP access. All of the email you moved to the IMAP folders will then appear in the VM copy of Outlook Express. At that point, you can either leave it in the IMAP folders, or move it to the local folders in the VM to free up space in your IMAP mailbox.

Keep in mind that if you go with a VM, you will need to keep up with antivirus and Windows updates in the VM (as long as Windows updates are available).

Thanks
    I went to windows mail to save everything from Outlook Express. Fairly simple process, read about it here:
    http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_move_my_...windows_7.html

Hope this helps accomplish what you want to do.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks lumpy95 and mrjimphelps, i think im likiking the idea of just saving everything into a new live mail acct. to eliminate the upkeep on a connected xp vm sys. thanks for the feedback everyone!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pkrewson View Post
    thanks lumpy95 and mrjimphelps, i think im likiking the idea of just saving everything into a new live mail acct. to eliminate the upkeep on a connected xp vm sys. thanks for the feedback everyone!
    If you have other reasons for needing a VM, such as running some ancient software which won't run under your current OS, then it would be worth considering putting Outlook Express in the VM as well.

But if this is just for Outlook Express, then I agree that it would be a lot of upkeep just for OE, when there are other viable alternatives, such as Live Mail.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pkrewson View Post
    Your welcome. It worked great for me since I could save and add to all my old OE folders. Just make sure you follow that links instructions and get all account info and OE folders saved FIRST.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok lumpy95 i just succesfully created a windows live email acct on my new win7 machine. transferring all my old files, address book, and pop3 and smtp settings was a snap with leos excellent instructions. once again thanks for the good advice. im outie