Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Can't repair Windows 7

Hi Roderunner,

I spoke too soon. When I restarted Windows I was unable to boot Win 7, so I restored that OS from a Macrium Reflect backup. That appeared to be successful, but the WLM notification appeared again. I restarted with the intention of performing a clean reinstallation, but chkdsk ran and repaired index files and recovered orphaned files, then deleted numerous index entries, then replaced invalid security ids with default security ids for over 156,000 files. When the computer automatically restarted I went into the BIOS and chose to boot from the Win 7 DVD. as I wanted to perform a clean installation. However, when I got to the "Where do you want to install Windows" option only one of my 2 SSDs was listed, and when I chose the one that was listed I was told "Setup is unable to create a new partition or locate an existing partition".

Prior to the above, while In Win 7 following the Macrium restore operation, I ran setup.exe from the Win 7 DVD, but when I chose the ‹pgrade" option Compatibility Report said:

"The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, "complete each task" (whatever that meant) and then restart the upgrade to continue.

Windows needs to be restarted so necessary changes to system files can be made before continuing".

I restarted but the upgrade didn't continue. Instead chkdsk ran with the results referred to previously.

One other thing puzzles me. If I open Computer the disk on which Win 7 should be resident is just shown as Local Disk (D NTFS, with no size details, but in Disk Management the normal details are shown, except that there is no reference to boot. Could this missing boot option be the cause of the problem, and if so how do I fix this?

I am writing this whilst in Win 8.1 and realise this thread should now be moved to Win 7, and would appreciate an administrator arranging this.

Urgent help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    When you run a chkdsk and get that many errors you should immediately consider replacing the disk. Further testing of the disk may be worthwhile but that many errors are indicative of an imminent failure.

Joe

Thanks
    Hi Roy, it looks to me that only the content of the disk was at fault. I suggest formatting the ssd then doing a clean install. Read my pdf carefully before starting. If you have any questions, just ask. Win7 Upgrade Install.pdf
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner and thanks. I'm sure you're right, because I used MiniTool Partition Wizard to run chkdsk and a surface test on the disk, and no errors were found.

My immediate problem now is that I need to print your pdf before starting, but don't know how to.

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, can't you use another pc or laptop to read as you proceed. You can print from this Win7 Upgrade Install.docx

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner and thanks again. I don't have another pc or laptop I'm afraid, but have printed the pdf from the .docx version.

I will no doubt now display my ignorance by asking the following questions about the pdf:

I'm ignoring Part 1 as I don't use Bitlocker, and assume I can ignore the command prompt window preceding Part 1?

Regarding Part 2, I intend to use the existing Win 7 partition and ignore the repartitioning details. However, in Disk Management the Win 7 disk is shown as disk 1, so should I replace your reference to selecting disk 0 to disk 1?

In Part 3 you say "Click Restart as in image above" but what image are you referring to?

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2014-02-25 at 13:28.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy, this is my hdd on my Desktop, can you post an image of yours. Right click Computer & select Manage.

Roy.JPG
    Click image to enlarge it.

Make an Image and Post it.docx

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner, the screenshot is attached and I await your further advice.

Regards, RoyScreenshot - 26-Feb-14 , 10_30_54 AM.png
    Last edited by royw; 2014-02-26 at 04:52.

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy,
    Am I correct in stating, you have 2 hdd's fitted in your PC, Disk 0 & Disk 1 and the others are USB connected.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner, I have 5 internal hdd's, and 1 external USB connected hdd. (2 of the internal drives are each divided into 2 partitions, and the USB connected hdd is also split into 2 partitions).(The USB connected hdd was not connected when I took the screenshot).

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy, I have modified the info for your requirements in this. Roy.docx

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner, and thanks again, but exactly what command(s) am I supposed to enter in Command Prompt? (Please excuse the delayed reply, but I had a hospital appointment to check on the healing process of an ulcer on my right shin, which is progressing well).

Please advise further.

Regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy,
    Type the following into command prompt and press Enter after each step.
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk o (this is where the OS will be installed)
    format fs=ntfs
    exit (closes diskpart)
    exit (closes the Command Prompt)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, thanks again but I still have problems.

I booted from my Win 7 Pro DVD, which includes SP1, but the Windows 7 OS was not found, and when I selected the repair your computer link I was told that startup problems had been found and that repairs would be applied and that more than one restart might be needed. However on restarting I was told NTDLR was missing.

I then booted from my Macrium Reflect Rescue DVD, and restored both Win 7 and Win 8.1 from Macrium images saved on my USB connected external drive. Both restorations were successful, but in anticipation of the possibility of problems with Win 7 recurring, which happened before after Macrium restorations, if I try again to do a clean reinstall of Win 7 I have one further question, i.e. in your last post you mentioned disk 0, but according to Disk Management Win 7 is on Disk 1, and Win 8.1 is on Disk 0. To confuse matters further, according to MiniTool Partition Wizard Win 7 is on Disk 2 and Win 8.1 is on Disk 1, so what Disk should I refer to in the Command Prompt commands? Also, is the 0 you referred to a zero or the letter o in lower case?

Further advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy,

Bad news I'm afraid. As your pc is capable of running Win8.1 & Win7 pro 64 bit it means you have a newer motherboard than I am used to.
    This means, it might be necessary to change the MB BIOS settings which would interfere with your Win8.1 BUT I'M NOT SURE.
    -
    As you have images made of both W8.1 & W7 the only way to find out if a clean install will work without making any changes is to try it.
    The first thing we need to do is find what OS is installed on which disk.
    Log on to Win7, open a command prompt run as Admin. type diskpart press enter type list disk press enter and post the image using the snipping tool.
    Type exit press enter to close disk part, repeat to close the command prompt.
    Do the same for Win8.1.
    -
    My image shows my Win7 is on Disk 0 (Zero).

RR.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast