Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Two Exchange servers under AD? Need help urgently

Hello,

I am able to send and receive from the LP domain but in order to do that I have to delete the LLC domain email from outlook and rejoin the LP domain email to the outlook. This will be very hard for me to do for more than 500 employees email address. and when I tired to add LP domain email address to the outlook, it says "This action cannot be completed. The name cannot be matched to a name in address list"

I don't mind setting up a new exchange server. I actually did install new server. Server 2008 R2 and exchange server 2007, I have already ran DCPROMO and made one server for DNS, AD, and exchange. as far as configuration goes, I am not really good at it.

Any help on that?

Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have two AD domains or are both Exchange servers joined to the same domain? If so why have you added a DC?
    Do you have separate email domains on each Exchange server?
    Have you set up the autodiscover DNS entry for both email domains?
    When you try to add the LP domain in Outlook have you pointed to the correct server?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I do have two AD, no both exchange server are on different domain.
    Yes I do have separate email domains for both exchange servers.
    I havent setup Autodiscover DNS yet.
    yes, I did pointed to correct server but gives error.

I want to keep both domain in working environment, LLC and LP.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    How are you managing to connect to the second Exchange server if it's in another domain? Do you have a domain trust set up?
    As the Exchange server is in another domain you may not be able to read the AD of the other domain, or the autodiscover DNS, so I'm not surprised you can't find the address list - that's why you get the "name cannot be matched" error.
    Are you attempting to use two email addresses, merge or migrate the users? If you want to merge the users you can migrate the mail, set Exchange to accept a second domain and change the external MX records to point to the correct server.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not connecting two domain together or two ADs.
    LP domain is in a different server with its own AD, DNS, and exchange server installed in it.
    I just want to use two domain but from different servers. I just need the configuration how to do it. We are also using Symantec Messaging Gateway as mail filter.
    Should I create Host A record in LP DNS as existing LLC domain mail filter address? like mail. llc. com

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I'm confused. Are you attempting to access Exchange externally or internally using Outlook? I can't see a way to do it internally as you need AD authentication to use Outlook and the domains are not trusted.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    both internally and externally.
    but is there any way to add a second domain (LP) under LLC AD and DC? i did it by adding domain second accepted domain but it only works if you send email but not receiving emails.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    You can't have 2 email servers with the same receive address - you'd never know where the mail ends up. Sending address is just a bit of text in your email.
    External access depends on how you connect to the mail server. Assuming you're using OWA you just connect to the public domain address and enter credentials, but I don't know if any mail client supports 2 OWA connections - not looked.

You can't add a second domain to an existing domain, but you can connect the networks and add domain trusts, although I don't think that's what you want to do.

I assume you have some sort of merger and need to access 2 lots of mail. I can't see how to do this except in a browser connected to OWA, which means 2 independent mail sessions - ugly!

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Why not have the same Exchange server assert that it is authoritative for both email domains? That way you only need one Exchange server install.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul: understood.. how about to adding another server with a different domain? is it possible?

Joe: how would I do that?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you tell us what you are trying to achieve? It may be easier to go back to the beginning.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, I am sorry for making it confusing.
    Alright so what I want is to create a LP domain email exchange server, We already have LLC domain exchange server.
    I want to run both email addresses at a same time, LP and LLC like my employees should be able to receive and send emails from outlook and or web portal.
    I dont mind creating user in LP domain AD. I just need to know the configuration.
    I have already installed the Exchange server 2007 in server 2008, AD, DNS.
    How and what would I add in firewall and in configuration?

Thanks!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Your Exchange server will run both domains at the same time, no need for a second Exchange server. An email domain is nothing more than a bit of text and a DNS entry on the internet. The downside is users will not be able to manage the subtlety of sending from multiple domains / email addresses - some will, the others will just get it wrong. It will be much easier to change everyone to a new email address whilst still accepting mail for the old domain.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    but requirements are, both emails must send and receive emails.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sure you can send using either address, but it's managing that change that users will have trouble with - they won't remember to check which address they are using. I know I forget on my own system and I set it up.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast