Thanks

Logins, aliases, and OneDrive

I went through a whole big deal with MS Support trying to combined my two OneDrive accounts (then SkyDrive) so that I could gain access to my 25 gig account with the other e-mail address.

That could not be done.

Now, I'm wondering whether what I need to do is set up an alias on the 25g account for the address from the second account. But when I tried to do that, I could not, and got an error message that the e-mail was already in use. Made sense, but how do I get around that?

Do I delete the one account and then it is available for use as an alias on the other account?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Yes, deleting the account and using an alias seems the only possible way to go. Alias work very well.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hi Chuck, I have two OneDrive accounts. When it was called SkyDrive, I could switch from one to the other easily untill Microsoft moved the goalposts. Now I have to Log-Out and Log-In to my other one.
    My main account is xxx@hotmail.com. I added an alias to it using my gmail.com address and could sign-in using either account and its password.
    If you delete any account, you will lose everything on it.
    All you can do is to select the account you want to access.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Chuck,
    As Roderunner I too have 2 SkyDrive (OneDrive) accounts and as Rode stated it was very easy to switch between accounts until MSFT "moved the goal posts". As stated you need to log out then log in on your other account. however! If you have OneDrive on your desktop (either Win7 or Win8) you can drag and drop files between your main account and your secondary account. I do this a lot. Before the Switch It was even easier to use SDExplorer, because you could let them switch accounts for you. I haven't used that since the change, just haven't gotten around to it but you might take a look at that.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Hi John, does this mean you have 2 OneDrive apps on your pc.
    you can drag and drop files between your main account and your secondary account.

Thanks
    Guys, it seems that aliases certainly solve my problem. The piece that I got from a MS support person -- someone that was finally knowledge, clear, succinct, and a good communicator -- was to delete the one account, WAIT 30 DAYS, and THEN set it up as an alias.

Easy to do, once one knows WHAT to do!

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Hi John, does this mean you have 2 OneDrive apps on your pc.
    No. What you do is sign-out of you main account, and sign in to your secondary account. Now restore down your OneDrive secondary account page, and then open up your OneDrive desktop app, and restore it down also so now the two are in side by side. Now you can simply drag and drop between the two accounts, as the desktop app does not change accounts, unless you physically go in and unlink it.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Thanks John, noted for the future. I usually access my secondary account directly to add or view my files.