New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Internet Explorer Problem

When I click on Internet Explorer, my main window is white with no data showing. My favorites do show up above my main window.

If I select the gear, the Internet Options is grayed out so I can't set it make to my default setting come back.

Need Help!!!!

If I click on anything, nothing happens.

See attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't read your attachment as I don't have Office 2007 but you can access Internet options via Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Internet Options to reset IE, but go Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) then click on the Home page icon to see if you get your normal home page and are able to browse.

If that works out then check Manage add-ons for any toolbars or search add-ons or anything else that you don't recognise and which you could have picked from a recent download.

Should there be any, then AdwCleaner will remove those for you.

Click on Scan and when complete, click on Report which will show you what it has found.

You can uncheck any items you want to keep then close Report and click on Clean.

Thanks
    Sudo,

You can download the Microsoft Word Viewer for free to allow you to read Word documents. There are also viewers for Excel & PowerPoint.

Chuck,

It's a good idea to publish documents in PDF format so others can read them w/o relying on a paid program they may not have. To do this download one of the Free PDF creators like NitroPDF or Foxit Reader. Both of these programs install a PDF Printer which can be accessed from the Print Menu of almost all programs.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2014-02-26)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG - that works great !

Thanks
    About a year ago, there were lots of reported instances of IE showing a white screen when people tried to go to certain web sites. I encountered this while working on a friend's computer. Most web sites showed up correctly in IE; but some didn't. And they seemed to be related to his work. He couldn't view any map web sites (Mapquest, Google Maps, etc), nor could he view the web site he uses to see available jobs.

I tried putting him on Firefox, but the Firefox website wouldn't show either! That's when I got suspicious that there is some yet undetected malware out there which is causing this issue.

I went to another computer and put a copy of Firefox on a CD. I then installed Firefox to his computer from the CD, and it worked perfectly.

Hard as I tried, I was not able to track down the cause of the problem. He told me that he had nothing he needed to keep on the computer, so I did a factory reinstall with his original disks, and made sure that he had some antivirus software installed. Everything worked after that, but I never could figure out how to fix the problem short of wiping his drive.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    About a year ago, there were lots of reported instances of IE showing a white screen when people tried to go to certain web sites. I encountered this while working on a friend's computer. Most web sites showed up correctly in IE; but some didn't. And they seemed to be related to his work. He couldn't view any map web sites (Mapquest, Google Maps, etc), nor could he view the web site he uses to see available jobs.

I tried putting him on Firefox, but the Firefox website wouldn't show either! That's when I got suspicious that there is some yet undetected malware out there which is causing this issue.

I went to another computer and put a copy of Firefox on a CD. I then installed Firefox to his computer from the CD, and it worked perfectly.

Hard as I tried, I was not able to track down the cause of the problem. He told me that he had nothing he needed to keep on the computer, so I did a factory reinstall with his original disks, and made sure that he had some antivirus software installed. Everything worked after that, but I never could figure out how to fix the problem short of wiping his drive.
    Let's hope it doesn't have to come to that.

If it's a malicious toolbar then an AV program won't pick it up and that goes for some scanners which is where AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool come into their own.

Had you tried either of those programs ?