New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 11 will not install - extra tidbits

Hi! If you can solve this problem, you're doing good.

I recently discovered that Microsoft had a newer version of IE than the one I was using. The version on my machine is IE 10. The new version, is, of course, IE 11. I downloaded the installer, and got about half-way through, when it sent me to a page about downloading necessary patches to Windows before IE 11 could be installed. I downloaded all six of the patches, but every time I try to install any patch, it starts a screen that says "Searching for Updates". It never stops searching. It will just run and run and run without finding any updates. I even left it on once while going to get my wife and back (about a 15 minute drive each way) and it was =still= Searching for Updates when I got back. Does anyone have any clue here?

Bruce

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    These steps may help to troubleshoot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2872074

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, assuming you're running Win 7... I had a long run in getting IE10 installed, eventually having to do a repair install after identifying one 'unfixable' issue with an old update. But IE11 installed ok. It just didn't work and it killed Pop peeper (scan and preview email from multiple accounts) and Desktop Sidebar (RSS feeds). Uninstalling IE11- all ok. And reinstalling- it wouldn't open sites. Such posts never offer solutions. There are many blind 'fixes' or ideas. One MSMVP suggested I 'trace' what IE11 is doing. Not sure what that means.

Searching around, there are many many accounts of incompatibility and problems like the last. IE11 may not be what you really really want just now. Suggest you do a few searches to find opinions and experience.. don't assume IE11 is necessarily an easy automatic knee-jerk update. A good number of experienced people have reverted.. and/or used Firefox.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree dalchina, I had to revert to IE 10 because of compatibility problems with my ISP's email which they still haven't managed to resolve.