5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will Not Boot from Thumb Drive

In order to check for viruses on my grandson's fairly new Win8.1 lapop I went through the process of downloading Windows Defender Offline and processing it onto a thumb drive. I also changed the BIOS to use the older boot code and changed the delay from 0 to 5 seconds so I could see which key to press to get to the boot menu. That all seems to have worked OK but it stopped with "Boot Error" on the screen. Then I formatted the thumb drive and went through the process again and then it said it didn't find a bootable thumb drive. I haven't found any way to fix that.

Can someone tell me where I am probably going wrong?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Is the thumb drive the corrected bittedness for your computer? Also, I would check the thumb drive you created on another machine to see if it works there.

Another test would be to make another thumb drive, right on this machine, and test the boot capability. I'm not to familiar with 8.1, but I believe File History should let you make a bootable drive, that is intended to use with the imaging function that is newly built in there.

Thanks
    I would suggest that you go through the downloading process for WDO again, this time writing it to a CD rather than the thumb drive. There are less potential issues with a CD than with a USB drive.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the laptop is 64 bit but the format command for the thumb drive only allowed 32 bit formatting so no they do not match. Is there such a thing as a 64 bit thumb drive? Is that required on a 64 bit machine?

I'll go ahead and take the CD route so I can finish this.

Thanks to both of you.
    Bill

Thanks
    It shouldn't matter whether or not the bits on the thumb drive match the bits in Windows. You're booting from the thumb drive and scanning pre-Windows, i.e., Windows won't be running at any time during the boot or scan process.

My concern here is that sometimes there are glitches with USB drives (hard drives and flash drives). USB is not a completely mature technology, and sometimes there are issues with it.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-02-26 at 12:13.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had forgotten that my grandson's laptop does not have an optical drive so I'm working on remaking the thumb drive, this time with Windows Defender Offline beta that is for Win8.1. I'll let you know if that works.

Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    His laptop has no problem accessing the internet when it has booted up normally but when I run the Windows Defender Offline on the thumb drive it cannot download the latest virus definitions so it will not scan! I don't know anything I can do about that so I'm ready to just run another regular scan and let it go at that.

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bill,

Does the machine connect via wired ethernet or WiFi? I've found that it doesn't work using WiFi as you would need to load drivers, especially if creating the USB for WDO on another machine. However using a wire seems to always work, for me at least, no matter which machine I create the USB key on. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is connecting via WiFi. I decided to try the Kaspersky offline scanner and I decided to use a different ISO installer and that fixed the problem. However, it only scanned for about 2 minutes! I just saw a screen shot from Fred Langa for that scanner and it showed the C drive in the list of items being scanned. I don't remember seeing C in the list that I ran so I'll go back and check again. I thought it had finished way too soon!

Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I'm not to familiar with 8.1, but I believe File History should let you make a bootable drive, that is intended to use with the imaging function that is newly built in there.
    System Image Backup (via File History) doesn't create a bootable drive. That requires a Recovery Drive (via Recovery).

Bruce