Lounger
    Thanks

Exchange 2007 as a second mail server with Exchange 2003

Our organization has been running Exhange 2003 on "Server A" running Server 2003 32bit. We have added a new Exhange 2007 Server on Server 2008 64bit. I have run the BPA and made the required changes to Server A. I have run the setup prerequisites on the new server and installed Exchange 2007 and then updated it and rebooted as required. We created a test user on Server A and then moved the mailbox to the new server. The GC and DNS all run on Server A as well as it being the DC. After moving the mailbox to the new server I can no longer access it from a computer other than the other Exchange server. We are using OWA for the test and can access from either Exchange server, but not from any other server or computer in the company. Any help would be appreciated. I've stated before in this forum I am totally new to Exchange would appreciate any "handholding" that is offered.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    What messages do you receive when you can't access the moved mailbox? Are you able to login as the user, not find any mail etc?
    Are you using a browser to access OWA?

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your help Paul. Yes, we are using a browser to access the mail with OWA. The message we get is "Page cannot be found". It DOES prompt for a username and password, then gives the error. A mail search with the tools on the server reveal that the email is sitting in a queue waiting to be forwarded to the destination. The information I find in an internet search says that Exchange 2007 has to have the smtp send and receive policies setup. Unlike 2003 it does not use IIS SMTP for transport. When turning off the IIS SMTP on the 2007 server we can no longer reach the mailbox through OWA on the server itself. I am unable to find any information with steps on how to setup the smtp send and receive policies. Are you able to help with that? Once again my ignorance is showing in how much detail I provide. I thought I had given enough and obviously there were unanswered questions. I apologize for being such a pain. I am NOT a network technician, I am a Help Desk Analyst with a strong hardware background. I was handed this project and am finding it very difficult to muddle my way through it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Exchange is not an easy thing to dive into and I don't have a server to hand to play with so I'm going from memory.
    I think you may have turned off IIS, which I think is required for OWA, but you are correct about the SMTP.
    I suggest you persuade work to buy you an Exchange 2007 reference, my 2003 version is over 1000 pages. Something like this is a good start.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

rmallen07 (2014-02-28)