Thread: win 7 & ssd

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool win 7 & ssd

I have just purchased a solid-state drive, 250 GB and I also purchased Win7 OEM, and I have a question concerning installation of the Windows 7.

1. Should I install Windows 7 on the new solid-state drive and then move my files from Windows XP to this drive. .

2: Should I go ahead and install Windows 7 onto my C Drive, which I am replacing with the solid-state drive and then move my XP files to the solid-state drive... I have a program called ACRONIS that will allow me to align my solid-state drive and also copy my XP programs to the new solid-state drive.

Which is the best way to upgrade from the XP, which your editors have recommended? I upgrade to Windows 7, because of the lack of support for XP in April. I

Dick

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Dick,

Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster!

IMHO your best bet is to use Acronis TI to make a complete Image of your existing system.

Now that your data is safe and you have a recovery path JIC you're ready to proceed.

1. Shut down your machine.
    2. Remove the old disk.
    3. Attach the SSD to the same cable.
    4. Install Win 7 from scratch. This will insure that windows knows from the start that it is booting from and SSD.
    5. Install all of your programs.
    6. Mount your Acronis image as a drive and copy your My Documents directory to the Documents directory of the SSD.
    7. Copy any other directories that may have data for your other programs.
    8. Test all your programs.
    9. When everything is working as desired take a NEW Acronis Image and mark it as your Base Installed Version and NEVER get rid of it.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When everything is working as desired take a NEW Acronis Image and mark it as your Base Installed Version and NEVER get rid of it.
    Or until you have a much newer fully patched and stable version in an image.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am new at this so give me a little room for errors. I followed your post (I even order Acronis TI so that I could make an image of my C drive, which I put on my USB drive). I disconnected my C drive and connected my ssd and installed Win 7. Every thing whent fine except I can't get my Ti to transfer to my new hard drive. whats next?

dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick1907 View Post
    I am new at this so give me a little room for errors. I followed your post (I even order Acronis TI so that I could make an image of my C drive, which I put on my USB drive). I disconnected my C drive and connected my ssd and installed Win 7. Every thing whent fine except I can't get my Ti to transfer to my new hard drive. whats next?

dick
    If you have clean installed Windows, what exactly do you want to transfer? TI would be needed in case you were not interested in a clean install. Like this, all you need is to install TI to mount the image you took (per RetiredGeek's 5-6 steps above) and then copy your documents.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Once TI is installed you open Windows Explorer and navigate to the location of your image files. Double click on an image files and you can view / copy files from the image to your disk.

cheers, Paul