Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Laptop will not boot with second drive

Installed a new 240 GB Intel 335 SSD in the second drive bay of my Dell Vostro 1700. Computer would not boot, even into F2 or F12. Removed the old Seagate HDD from first drive bay, installed the new SSD, booted from the XP-Pro system CD disk, partitioned to 100 GB C:\, and installed XP-Pro. Computer booted from new SSD. Installed old HDD in bay 2; system would not boot. Exchanged drives in bays; still would not boot. Removed SSD from bay 2; system booted as before. System will boot with either drive in bay 1, but will not boot with both drive bays occupied, even from system CD. BIOS is set to boot first to HD bay 1, then CD. Dell "Support" told me to find a third party for help. (Thanks Dell, and goodbye.) Is there something to set in the BIOS to support 2 drives as the manual and spec sheet say it will but offer no direction? (I would like to clone the old HDD to the new SSD and then do a fresh install of Win7 only when necessary.) It would be nice to be able to run 2 drives in this rather expensive laptop.

Thanks
    Are you able to access BIOS with the two drives installed?
    Are you sure your Intel drive is compatible with the laptop you have?
    I find it difficult to believe that Dell would brush you off like that, try again, or seek support from their forums.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    It wouldn't surprise me to find that this is a 'feature' implemented by Dell within the BIOS, perhaps as part of separating 2-3 tiers (consumer, business, professional) of notebooks that share the same motherboard. For example, in the past it was possible to 'force-flash' the BIOS on many Inspirons to enable Latitude and/or M-series features/hardware to be upgraded/connected, thus allowing business-class features like full-featured docking stations and workstation-class graphics cards to be added. As CLiNT said, the best place to find the real deal on this would be the Dell forums.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Are you able to access BIOS with the two drives installed?
    Are you sure your Intel drive is compatible with the laptop you have?
    I find it difficult to believe that Dell would brush you off like that, try again, or seek support from their forums.
    Clint,
    The computer will not go to BIOS with either F2 or F12 with both drives installed. The computer will boot with only the new SSD installed.

Agent (Clark Air BaseSMB US DIV_Malon): "I am sorry. So based on the details you provided, you are trying to configure this system to work with 2 hard drives."
    John Dick: "Correct!"
    Agent (Clark Air BaseSMB US DIV_Malon): "According to our record, you only have one hard drive configuration which is set for optimal performance."
    John Dick: "Do I need to change something in BIOS?"
    Agent (Clark Air BaseSMB US DIV_Malon): "If you wish to add one more, I am sorry but that is beyond the scope of what we support. If you need further assistance, you have to contact third part support provider or local technicians for assistance."

I can emial you the entire transcript if you are interested. I will try the Dell forum as you and satrow suggested. Thanks for your replies. I need to get this fixed, as the old drive wiould not boot from a cold start a couple of weeks ago, and required the Dell system disk.
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume you saw my post at the end of your other thread and it did not apply?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    I assume you saw my post at the end of your other thread and it did not apply?
    F.U.N. downtown:
    Thanks for your previous reply. The data sheet confirmed the Vostro 1700 SHOULD support 2 drives. The reviews of the cable indicated severe problems in some cases (fires, burning smells, etc.) I would like to use the second drive bay for a 1 TB drive after cloning to the new SSD, thus my fixation on booting with 2 drives in the system. Also with both drives operational, I would not need the cable to clone.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrdick View Post
    F.U.N. downtown:
    The data sheet confirmed the Vostro 1700 SHOULD support 2 drives. .
    Yes but size specific:
    Dual hard drive configurations available: 240GB* total (2 x 120GB* 5400 RPM), 320GB* total (2 x 160GB* 5400 RPM) or 320GB* total (2 x 160GB* 7200 RPM)
    RAID not offered on any Vostro notebook systems
    If you have the same era BIOS and cannot flash to a later one and that later one supports larger of different size drives, it may not be possible beyond the narrow scope indicated.

The Ankers are solid by the way, at least as far as using USB power for SSD goes, I've never actually used one with the AC and a 3.5 inch platter drive. I have one plugged in more or less permanently running either of two VMs located on the attached SSD.

Thanks
    Possibly a bad 'interposer board' (no, I don't know what that refers to either): http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19055668.aspx

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Yes but size specific:

If you have the same era BIOS and cannot flash to a later one and that later one supports larger of different size drives, it may not be possible beyond the narrow scope indicated.

The Ankers are solid by the way, at least as far as using USB power for SSD goes, I've never actually used one with the AC and a 3.5 inch platter drive. I have one plugged in more or less permanently running either of two VMs located on the attached SSD.
    Hmm. The new drive is an Intel 240 GB. The old one is a Seagate 160 GB. It will boot to either drive, but not both of them. Could it be the total of 400 GB is too much, or the different sizes kills it?

I'll have another look at the Ankers.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
    John

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Possibly a bad 'interposer board' (no, I don't know what that refers to either): http://en.community.dell.com/support.../19055668.aspx
    Possible. I installed a new pin adapter on the new Intel SSD; that sounds like the "interposer board" on the Dell forum. The new drive, on which I installed XP-Pro SP3, boots just fine by itself. On our old desktops this would just be a "jumper select" problem to set the old drive as the "slave". Elsewhere on that forum it was suggested it would not boot with two active partitions; but it would not boot when the new unpartitioned SSD was installed in bay 2. I could try FDISK and reformatting the SSD as a single NTFS partition, or deleting the old C:\ partition on the old Seagate, but then I don't have a bootable HDD do I. I would like 2 drives, and I would prefer not to do the hassle of a fresh XP install when I will likely need to do so if I "upgrade" to Win7. Please keep with me.
    John

Thanks
    See if you can't find a BIOS update for your laptop, otherwise, I'm suspicious of some kind of hardware/power failure issue.
    One should ALWAYS be able to boot into BIOS.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    The only time I have seen an inability to boot into BIOS is with a Windows 8 Fast Boot.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    See if you can't find a BIOS update for your laptop, otherwise, I'm suspicious of some kind of hardware/power failure issue.
    One should ALWAYS be able to boot into BIOS.
    Clint, F.U.N. downtown, Jerry, satrow
    Always something new isn't there. Since either drive by itself will boot, that seems to rule out drive and pin adapter problems. The BIOS sure looks suspicious; bay 2 must be hooked up, as it only fails to boot when bay 2 is occupied. It could be due to 2 active partitions, one on each drive, but it should have booted before I put the OS on the new SSD. I have as suggested taken this to the Dell Community forum; I'll let you know what they come up with. Thanks for your continuing help!
    John

Thanks
    Well, having 2x Active partitions, one on each of 2x drives, shouldn't prevent boot and it shouldn't prevent either drive from being detected by the BIOS. I see your topic on the Dell forum, keep us updated, eh?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Well, having 2x Active partitions, one on each of 2x drives, shouldn't prevent boot and it shouldn't prevent either drive from being detected by the BIOS. I see your topic on the Dell forum, keep us updated, eh?
    Satrow, I'm trying to decide whether to risk it all by updating the BIOS from A05 to A07. I'm sure you guys must have some opinions. If you don't here from me for awhile, you'll know I tried and failed...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast