New Lounger
    Thanks

Getting a table header row to repeat when rows break across pages

A very long table has the first row set to repeat as header. It's fine on most pages, but does not repeat on a page where a row has broken onto that page.

I can't set the rows not to break, because occasionally a row is over a page long. The entire document is one table.

Is there a way of forcing it to repeat?

The workaround used by the person from whom I inherited the doc is to not have a header row in the table, but to instead have its contents in a single row table in the actual document header. Cute idea, but it seems impossible to get the bottom of that table to overlap precisely with the top of the body table, so there's always either a slight gap or an actual (significant and ugly) overlap.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    The workaround used by the person from whom I inherited the doc is to not have a header row in the table, but to instead have its contents in a single row table in the actual document header. Cute idea, but it seems impossible to get the bottom of that table to overlap precisely with the top of the body table, so there's always either a slight gap or an actual (significant and ugly) overlap.
    It isn't all that difficult to eliminate the gap between the header & body content to which you refer - simply ensure the paragraph following the table has it size reduced to 1pt, with no before/after spacing and formatted as hidden text. Then ensure the header row height is sufficient to fill the header height (i.e. at least the difference between the top margin height and the header's distance 'from edge' value. Done properly, you won't even be able to pick a gap at 500% magnification. Deleting the header row's bottom border will also help with the effect.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

OldNick (2014-03-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul. Unfortunately, I'd already got that set to 2pt, with no spacing before or after.
    I shrunk it to 1pt as you suggested, which certainly did help, but still left a slight gap.
    Making it hidden didn't make any difference.

Strangely, what did hide the gap completely was editing the table properties.
    1. 'Positioning already had 'Move with text' off, and 'Allow overlap' on.
    2. Set 'Move with text' on.
    3. Save
    4. Set 'Move with text' back to off.
    5. Save
    6. The gap between bottom of table in header and top of table disappears! They overlap each other perfectly; two lines become one.
    No idea why, but it worked.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    I shrunk it to 1pt as you suggested, which certainly did help, but still left a slight gap.
    Making it hidden didn't make any difference.
    Did you hide the hidden text display (e.g. by clicking on the ¶ symbol on the Ribbon's Home tab)?
    Last edited by macropod; 2014-03-03 at 03:44.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]