New Lounger
    Thanks

Opening corrupt document

I'm hoping folks here can point me in the right direction or give me some tips or things to try to recover a corrupt MS Word document. When I try to open the document, I get this file conversation message box (attached). My work computer is Win7/Office 2007. My home computer is Win7/Office 2003. The file is saved as .doc and bounces between both places. I have no idea if any of that is relevant. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you open the document on either system?
    If you can't open it at all in Word try opening it in Notepad or Notepad++ and copying the text to a new Word document.
    Notepad++ minimal no install package.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What does the file conversation message box read?
    --- Please post the exact message

As requested, can you open the document on either computer?
    --- It sounds like you can't; please verify

Is the problem brand new and have you been able to interact between your 2007 & 2003 versions just fine until this particular document?
    --- Is the document created by you?
    ------ If so what it sent to or used by someone else who in turn sent it back to you?
    Is the document created by someone else and/or sent to you by email?

I can't recall exactly, but I think I've seen some references to non Microsoft Word documents that can have .doc extensions

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What have you tried so far?

Have you tried opening Word and then choose Open and change Open button to "Open and Repair"?

Have you tried opening Word and then choose Open and change the document type to "Recover text from any file"?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As it has been currupted, try to use Office Program "Open and Repair" feature to restore it. If it doesn't work for you, go and find the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Word to find the word file, then you will find some .asd file, change them to .doc, it will be your corrupted word and copy it to another computer, then it will be working normally. If it still won't work, well, forget it and send it to a professional data recovery company and it will cost u some dollors. Or you directly search in Google and find a Microsoft Word file Recovery tool to restore the corrupted word. Or you can visit here to have a try, Six ways to Recover corrupted doc/docxfiles

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A way I've sometimes used, especially with files made by earlier MS WORD versions, is to open the file with a non-MS wordprocessor. AbiWord, Ashampoo Office or OpenOffice/LibreOffice come to mind. I've sometimes found this worked when all the MS software I tried did not. They are free or have a free trial version available. If no joy there, try the Office Suites (often ports of those mentioned above) found on a Linux Live CD.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Like melcom, I've used StarOffice and LibreOffice to open damaged MS Word documents. It's free.

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi dutcora..I had a similar problem with a real big doc in Word 2013.

Symptom: I could open the Word document; then it opened through a second and really slow analysing process (but eventually opened).
    Cure: Copy the entire document to the clipboard and paste contents into a new Word document.
    Cause: The original doc contained different 'recovered' and 'restored' points. I don't know if this procedure will help in your case; but there's only one way to find out.