New Lounger
    Thanks

Removing junk emails

It seems that my email address has gotten into the hands of the spammers.
    Is there a way to move several emails at the same time to the junk folder and
    have their addresses put in the block sender list. Takes too long to do each one
    separately.

thanks,
    ben

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    It isn't much use blocking spammers as they change the sender address at random. All you can do is mark the mail as junk and let Outlook deal with it - Outlook's junk mail filters leave a lot to be desired IMO.

cheers, Paul

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I seem to be getting a lot more since I attempted to re-register for my WS Newsletters as I still wasn't receiving them after they were supposed to have been fixed - so Hands up! WS ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by welchb View Post
    It seems that my email address has gotten into the hands of the spammers.
    Is there a way to move several emails at the same time to the junk folder and
    have their addresses put in the block sender list. Takes too long to do each one
    separately.

thanks,

ben

Yes...just put a check by each email you want, then go through the process of the junk mail, now as a lot they will all be moved.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
    Yes...just put a check by each email you want, then go through the process of the junk mail, now as a lot they will all be moved.
    Outlook (the program) doesn't have check boxes for message selection.

Bruce

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My ISP and gmail email do have check boxes, but a Google found this for Outlook which should help http://www.ehow.com/how_2054496_dele...k-express.html

Administrator
    Thanks
    Although the link in the last post refers to Outlook Express not Outlook the same multi-select techniques work in Outlook.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I use CTL key to delete several emails, I do not have the option to add them to the block sender list.
    Oh, well, I guess this is better than nothing.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ben

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're using Outlook you can also use this add-in to report the offending junk mail to Microsoft (and their affiliates?) as this supposedly will help them improve their filtering -
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=18275. It adds a "Report Junk" option to your Outlook Junk drop-down in the toolbar and right-click menus. From your Inbox it blocks the sender and moves the email into your Junk folder at the same time. You can highlight and process multiple emails in your inbox or Junk folder at the same time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PFM View Post
    If you're using Outlook you can also use this add-in to report the offending junk mail to Microsoft (and their affiliates?) as this supposedly will help them improve their filtering -
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=18275. It adds a "Report Junk" option to your Outlook Junk drop-down in the toolbar and right-click menus. From your Inbox it blocks the sender and moves the email into your Junk folder at the same time. You can highlight and process multiple emails in your inbox or Junk folder at the same time.
    I don't think the Microsoft Junk E-mail Reporting Add-in blocks senders locally.

But it is a means of being able to treat multiple emails as junk in Outlook.exe.

And adding individual spam addresses to blocked senders isn't useful anyway.

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul T is correct when stating "It isn't much use blocking spammers as they change the sender address at random." However, I use ESET Smart Security 7 and add everyone of these spammers' addresses to their "Black List" which seems to provide some blocking. This spamming trend (mostly consisting of ridiculous messages and wording) seems to be accelerating at an alarming rate. Just be careful about what links you click on even though they appear legitimate--especially those promotional sites. For example, I'm convinced that Publishers Clearing House has a mole (spy) that directly connects your address and phone number to spammers. I quit that gig about one year ago and suddenly the spam frequency dropped off (a strong correlation). Now, I must have encountered another mole from some so-called legitimate company because the junk from someone who wants to send my inheritance of a million dollars has suddenly picked up again. Isn't there some technology out there that can do a reverse tracing/tracking of these crooks?
    Last edited by bluebird2; 2014-02-28 at 02:00. Reason: corrections

Thanks
    I've noticed that an increasing number of Spam emails are requesting a return receipt to verify that the message was seen. I of course deny sending the receipt.

Jerry