Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Need Vista Home Premium x64 SP2 installation DVD or ISO

I am sorry if this has been asked previously. I have searched the Vista forum extensively but am unable to find an answer.

I am in need of a Vista Home Premium x64 installation dvd or iso which contains SP2 in order to to a repair install.

The reason other solutions do not work are involved but basically I have the original Vista Home Premium x64 SP1 installation dvd, installed SP2 several years ago and then mananged to delete the SP2 files necessary to revert to SP1. I can not use the SP1 DVD to to a repair install because I have later versions of the system files installed (SP2). I am unable to reinstall SP2 to recreate the uninstall files and so, am stuck.

It appears to me that short of a clean reinstall, there is no way for me to repair my ageing system.

Anyone know how I could obtain a Vista install disk containing SP2 or any other approach to repairing my system?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Since you have the original DVD you need to slipstream SP-2 (i.e. integrate SP-2 with the original DVD). See if How to Slipstream a Vista SP2 helps.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reference. I was aware of this approach for slipstreaming but have seen bad things said about it.
    I will check it out again.

There is another reference on the page you referenced to slipstream that I had not previously seen: http://www.ehow.com/how_8645148_crea...very-disk.html.
    I wil check that out also.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It has been a while since I've slipstreamed a service pack into an OS but IIRC I did not have a problem with it.

If you want more references to slipstreaming see the results at how to slipstream vista sp2.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

dick_blaine (2014-03-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The "Final" version, 2.0 does not have the slipstream option. See also http://www.brighthub.com/computing/s...35.aspx#imgn_1.
    Any idea who I could contact about this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    See this vLite forum post - Slipstreaming SP2 into Windows Vista w/ SP1. According to the post you must "reverse" integrate SP2. There are links to instruction.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may want to look at this site," http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/14-windows-7-direct-download-links".
    I had the same problem (no OS disc came with the laptop) and I was able to use an ISO from this site to do the reinstall. Keep in mind you MUST have a valid windows key. Hope this helps, it took me quite some time to locate a solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks
    I am trying to do an in-place reinstall of Vista (x86 or 32-bit) on a friend's PC. I have created an ISO of Vista with SP1 slipstreamed in and used it to make a bootable USB flash drive. But, because the Vista on the PC is up to SP2, the Upgrade option is not available when trying from within Windows Vista or when booting from the flash drive.

Am I correct that there is no known way to slipstream SP2 into the ISO I have so that I can do the in-place reinstall of Vista?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatRay View Post
    I am trying to do an in-place reinstall of Vista (x86 or 32-bit) on a friend's PC. I have created an ISO of Vista with SP1 slipstreamed in and used it to make a bootable USB flash drive. But, because the Vista on the PC is up to SP2, the Upgrade option is not available when trying from within Windows Vista or when booting from the flash drive.

Am I correct that there is no known way to slipstream SP2 into the ISO I have so that I can do the in-place reinstall of Vista?
    You need to follow the reverse integration procedure in the thread linked in post #6. You could also try the download link in post #7 and download an ISO with SP2 already integrated.

Joe

Thanks
    First, there are no Vista with SP2 included, so that is not an option.

Second, AFAICT, I have to install Vista to create an image, and then, reverse integrate SP2 into the image. I don't see how that would then get me to a point where I can do an in-place reinstall.

Finally, the existing install is running so badly that I cannot either uninstall SP2 nor do much of anything else to try and get the system to even a semi-usable state.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a link to install Vista SP2 with an option to manually install SP2 using a standalone install package
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ice-Pack-2-SP2
    Good luck

Thanks
    Thanks. Currently at work so I will have to wait until I get home to look into it further.

Thanks
    So far, I have been able to roll the OS back to the oldest available restore point. since, then I have been running the ESET Online Antivirus Scanner until it stops finding virus' and suspicious programs. I will probably do that a couple of times.

Since I rolled back the OS, it has been much more stable, thus, why I have been able to run the online antivirus scanner to clean the system up.

Chalk this up to a brain cramp, but I can uninstall SP2 and then, hopefully, have "Upgrade" enabled when I go to do the in-place reinstall of Vista. If not, I can try uninstalling SP1 and then I should be able to "Upgrade."
    Last edited by WildcatRay; 2014-03-09 at 08:09.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dick in addition to the slipstream methods, have you checked out
    Here is a link to install Vista SP2 with an option to manually install SP2 using a standalone install package
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ice-Pack-2-SP2

I know you are talking about doing a repair install, but if you can connect to the internet & nothing else works maybe it will save you from having to do a fresh install especially since one of the options is You can order a DVD from Microsoft containing SP2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast