Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 and Win 8 Upgrade Advisors fail

I am running XP SP3 on a system and am planning to upgrade because of the imminent loss of MS support.

I have dowloaded the Win8 Upgrade Advisor. It starts to inspect my system, telling me that it will take a few minutes, but it has taken all night and is still inspecting the system.

So I've just tried the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor. It has been running now for 30 mins, with no results.

My system appears to tick the boxes - Intel Core Duo E8400 3GHz, 3.2GB RAM - but I don't wish to buy and run a Win8 Upgrade-from-XP OS and find that it stalls for the same reason the Upgrade Assistants are stalling.

Can anyone help please?

Maybe I should cut my losses, stop wasting time on these useless Upgrade Assistants, and buy a full version of Win 8, and do a clean install - presumably there is a choice to formatting the HD in such a scenario.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Your system will be fine with Windows 7 or 8. I would buy an SSD and Win7 OEM, put the SSD in place of the existing and do a fresh install. When it's done you can shut down and connect the old disk to a second port and go from there.

cheers, Paul

p.s. It's always worth doing a full image backup prior to an upgrade, just in case you want to go back to the old for some reason.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Lord Alfred (2014-03-04)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing to bear in mind when upgrading is, do the manufacturers of your hardware support Win 7 or 8/8.1 and not forgetting any printers.

Going to your Network, motherboard/computer and GPU support sites (and printers if applicable) to check for the relevant drivers would be advisable before you buy anything.

Neither upgrade advisor should be taking that long to scan your computer unless there is an existing condition.

Go Start - Run then type and enter cmd.exe then type and enter chkdsk

This is a read-only mode and will show any bad files or bad HDD sectors.

These are FAQs + for the Win 8.1 upgrade advisor http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...oad-online-faq
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-03 at 07:46.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Lord Alfred (2014-03-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I've run chkdsk and chkdsk /f. Win8 Upgrade Assistant (sorry - got the name wrong!) still fails to check the system.

This is so frustrating. Why does MS make it so difficult to upgrade?

I don't wish to go to more expense than necessary - like a SSD.

It looks like the processor supports PAE, NX and SSE2:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2...0E8400%29.html

If I do get a SSD I guess I can remove the old floppy drive, get a 2.5 - 3.5 adapter and put the drive there. The system is all SATA (Gigabyte GA-P31-ES3G).

I assume that Win 7 (or 8?) would, on installation, label the new SSD as C: drive, but what happens when I re-attach the current drive? Does Win 7/8 automatically re-letter the current drives/partitions?

Can I dual-boot with both drives connected?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll leave the tech questions to the more experienced, but to take a step back, what did chkdsk in read-only mode give for bad sectors and why did you run chkdsk /f ?

If chkdsk listed any bad sectors, back up your personal files and run the command chkdsk /r then retry either upgrade advisor/assistant.

chkdsk /r as well as having the attributes of /f will move what data it can from any bad sectors it finds, but data can be lost - hence, best to back up personal files before running this command when there are known bad sectors.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-04 at 08:57.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Lord Alfred (2014-03-05)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    As long as you have your new SSD on the lowest SATA port number and no other disk connected, Windows will set the disk as C: and all will be well. When you re-connect your old disk to a higher SATA port, Windows will see and boot from the SSD and then treat the "old" disk as a normal disk, probably E: - assuming you have a CD.

cheers, Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Lord Alfred (2014-03-05)

Thanks
    Try running the Upgrade Advisor in a clean boot environment:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Jerry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Lord Alfred (2014-03-05)

Thanks
    I agree, I wouldn't give up on the upgrade [both] advisors just yet.
    They may gather valuable information regarding your hardware from it's examinations.

And please do create that image that Paul T mentions earlier in post #2 , prior to upgrading.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Lord Alfred (2014-03-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all the useful replies.
    Sudo15 ("what did chkdsk in read-only mode give for bad sectors and why did you run chkdsk /f ?") - I was busy doing something else, spotted that chkdsk had completed and just quit without noting the results - there was some minor adjustment it made I think. I think it prompted me to run chkdsk /f so I just did that.

It's one single partitioned drive, and I keep all data on the E: partition, and back it up to an external USB drive.

May I ask why you recommend backing up an XP-based image? That will be a security risk very soon won't it? Surely it would be foolish to reinstate the image if something goes wrong? The whole point of this exercise is to expunge XP - with huge reluctance and regret. (Sometimes I think I'll just keep going with it, make sure I back up all data frequently on an external drive, and if something nasty does happen, then think about alternatives, like a new SSD with Win8)

Thanks
    May I ask why you recommend backing up an XP-based image? That will be a security risk very soon won't it? Surely it would be foolish to reinstate the image if something goes wrong?
    The image based backup gets your computer back to a know working state. It's a safety net of sorts, so that you're not left with nothing.
    The chances of a failed Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 install are slim but not impossible.

Personally, if it were me, I'd clean install XP, update it and get all it's current drivers, then try the upgrade advisors again prior to proceeding.
    I would also, probably the very first thing I'd do, is visit your computer manufacturer's web site and check to see if they offer W7/8/8.1 drivers for you make and model.
    If they do, then you can be relatively certain the OS upgrade will work out just fine regarding your hardware.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-05 at 07:02.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Lord Alfred (2014-03-06)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    For chkdsk to prompt performing chkdsk /f it must have noted some bad files.

To recheck what it reports for the HDD sectors, then just run chkdsk again, but you can read the full chkdsk /f report in Event Viewer - Application - Winlogon.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-05 at 10:40.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Lord Alfred (2014-03-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    More great advice guys. Thanks. Meanwhile I've discovered Belarc's terrific system analysis programme. If that can analyse my system so comprehensively why the heck can't MS Upgrade Assistant, I ask myself.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Belarc Advisor just does an audit of your system and checks to see if you have all security updates whereas the upgrade advisor is comparing your system.

As neither upgrade advisor is able to complete, then it may be that you wouldn't be able to upgrade, so going to either the computer or driver manufacturer support sites and checking if they have drivers for either Win 7, 8/8.1 would be the next best option or just contact the computer vendor for advice as to its compatibility.

Another reason why the advisors could fail could be if there are bad sectors on the HDD so it could get hung up on those which is why I've suggested running chkdsk which will show either 0 KB in bad sectors or n KB in bad sectors.

The advisors check your programs compatibility as well as hardware.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-06 at 10:56.

Thanks
    I have been using Belarc Advisor since they first offered it, and find it to be a very useful tool. It does much more than list MS upgrades and patches.

Another great system analysis tool is (also freeware) is "SPECCY" (SPECIFY) from Piriform, makers of CC Cleaner. You should check it out.

Nearly all the apps I use were suggested and recommended by Windows Secrets. That says it all for me.

Regards and good luck, Rich-
    "IF I CAN'T FIX IT, IT AIN'T BROKE!"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PEYTON PLACE View Post
    I have been using Belarc Advisor since they first offered it, and find it to be a very useful tool. It does much more than list MS upgrades and patches.

Another great system analysis tool is (also freeware) is "SPECCY" (SPECIFY) from Piriform, makers of CC Cleaner. You should check it out.

Nearly all the apps I use were suggested and recommended by Windows Secrets. That says it all for me.

Regards and good luck, Rich-
    Yes, but those two programs won't tell Lord Alfred if his computer/programs are Win 7 or 8 compatible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast