Star Lounger
    Thanks

Initial boot to XP?

Have my HD partitioned half 2000 server and half XP. On initial screen2000 is listed first and it defaults to it if no choice is made. You can arrow down toXP and boot that. How can I reverse these choices so that the default boot on the same HD is XP?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Initial boot to XP?

You can "show" hidden files and folders through My Computer/Tools/Folder Options/View then edit c:boot.ini in Notepad to alter the default partition in the line starting with "default" to any of those partitions listed on the lines below the [operating systems] line.

Roger

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I would just add to Roger's advice : save a copy of boot.ini first. It's easy to make a mistake and make booting properly impossible.
    btw, whenever you have a multiple boot system, I've found it invaluable to include Windows SE or MsDoS. You can then boot to a DoS prompt and make corrections you can't do from inside Windows 2k, XP or ME.

Rgds

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

There is another way to edit boot.ini file:
    Right-click "My Computer " icon on Desktop and choose Properties (or WIndows key + Pause/Break key - it's a great shortcut!)
    Click Advanced tab, then in Startup and Recovery area click Settings button. From pop-up window, you can easily change default boot partition, timeout for boot menu, etc.