New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Backup - Restore data not available

After a failure of my primary Hard Disk (C I was forced to re-install windows onto another drive.
    This has all completed successfully.

However

When I go to do a restore of my data files using widows the backup file is not shown.

The backup file is present on the disk (it is in the file listing and the drive is showing that it is "full" of data in that there is only 40GB free of 200GB and that is essentially all there is on the drive).

I am not looking to do a system image restore (because there isn't one - yes I know!) only to recover my data.

I have not yet activated windows backup since I re-installed - if I do will that overwrite what is there or will it find the missing one.

I also know the data was being backed up successfully, because just before the system disk crashed I tried to restore a file and at that point it found the data file with no problem.

Help

Richard

Thanks
    I have not yet activated windows backup since I re-installed - if I do will that overwrite what is there or will it find the missing one.
    No, because you would have to set it up again. I would set it up again but not actually use it to create a backup. Turn schedule off.
    All you want to do is activate it to the extent where you can get access to the, presumably external drive, where the backup is located.
    (But that shouldn't have anything to do with retrieving a backup, which leads me to believe)...
    It could also be an issue with the external drive; try unplugging the drive, power off for a few minutes, then plug in and try again.

When I go to do a restore of my data files using widows the backup file is not shown.
    What exactly is shown when you make an attempt to restore THIS way?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-04 at 05:47.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Tag team spammer.
    Thanks
    Have you already solved your problem? I think if you post this thread to microsoft forum, you will get the answer more quickly.
    In additional, I suggest you Create Bootable Rescue Media rather than just backup.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-06-25 at 10:36.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think you can restore that unless you use third party data-recovery programs.