2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Migrating Win7Pro to iMac via VMware

Hey Guys,
    Hope somebody here know a good work-a-round.
    I got a new iMac (My first one) and I want to transfer
    my Win7 Pro over to it using VMware, but every time
    I run it VM locks up at 98% every time!

I've done the google routine with no luck, check the
    VM forums... no luck, but I have found dozens of others
    with the same problem, but no answers on how to fix it.

Grandpa Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's going to be tricky... I'm not sure how you copied your Win7 over to VMWare in the first place (there probably lies the issue).

Honestly I'd suggest Parallels with a fresh install of Win7 Pro... and then import all your files into it. Parallels for Mac is VERY cool (using it right now).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried Paralles first and even had tech support on the line.... All he wanted to do was copy over "JUST" the os and nothing else.
    Then he told me I'd have to export all my drives and files to an external hard drive one at a time then plug into the mac and
    import..... Well I've got over 400 programs and drives down to 'w'.
    If I've got to do all that crap; I mind as well saved the 90 bucks for Paralles and just installed the os from the dvd.

As for VMware.... there are to parts to do the migration. Then Win7 starts the program opens with a key number to
    type into the Mac or you can insert the IP address of the Mac into the Win7 screen... once they connect it just starts
    tranfering "ALL" the drives over to the Mac.

Now there are two of us searching the web for the fix for over a month, but all we've found so far is just a bunch
    of guys with the same problem, but with no answers on how to fix it or a work-a-round for it.

Thanks
    I don't believe that you will be assured of 100% success if you simply try to transfer everything over to your iMac. You could, however, have 100% success if you set up your virtual environment on the iMac (e.g. Parallels), and then do a clean install of everything, including Windows 7, in the virtual environment.

Things go better when you clean install them. Especially when you are moving between two very different hardware platforms.

I don't have any experience with the Mac, but I do have experience with moving things between different hardware platforms.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you have the Windows machine as a Fusion VM you can convert it to a Parallels pvm.
    http://platinumdogs.me/2012/01/17/ma...llels-desktop/

cheers, Paul