4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Public IP address

I was trying to help my daughter, who lives 300 miles away, diagnose some problems that she has with her computer. We are both using Windows 8.1 and I tried to log on using Microsoft Remote Access, msra.exe. She opened it up, sent me the file, I entered the password and it would not connect.

She ran the Trouble Shooter on her end and it showed that I could not connect because she did not have a Public IP Address. How does she get one so that I can log on and help her? Thank you for any help that you can offer.

Thanks
    Have her open Google in a a browser and enter 'what is my IP' as her query. The top returned result should show Your public IP address is... and the IP address.

Hope this helps...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's long been a problem with RA. If she's behind a router RA picks up the internal IP her router assigns her, not the router's WAN side (public-facing) IP. And even if you figure out her public IP, her router would still need to be reconfigured to port-forward the RA ports to her internal IP.

The easiest solution is to avoid RA and instead use Teamviewer. You download and save the "Teamviewer Portable" version and she downloads and saves the "Teamviewer QuickSupport" version. When you're ready to connect, each of you launches an instance of your respective versions. Her instance will generate a nine digit ID and password, which she needs to tell you--say, over the phone or via text msg. You enter those codes in the "Control Remote Computer" side of your instance and voila, you're looking at her desktop.

Both computers use Teamviewer's servers as a middleman to take care of figuring out the correct way through any routers on either end, then the server steps out of the way and leaves you with a direct connection between the two computers.

FTR, you can alternatively use the "Teamviewer full version" if you want to permanently install it on your computer. She can also use the portable or full version, though the QS version is likely to be the least confusing for her to use. Teamviewer is free for personal, non-commercial use.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    +1 for Teamviewer.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya +2 for Teamviewer but if you ever have the need for more, like off site backup one or both ways or download files from each other through a feature called SecureShares, GBridge works quite well and doesn't have the upgrade nag and thank you for playing fair screens. I can't get the VNC settings to where I can see the remote context menus but remote desktop works great and it's a nice and secure (VPN), more permanent connection between friends and family especially.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya +2 for Teamviewer but if you ever have the need for more, like off site backup one or both ways or download files from each other through a feature called SecureShares, GBridge works quite well and doesn't have the upgrade nag and thank you for playing fair screens. I can't get the VNC settings to where I can see the remote context menus but remote desktop works great and it's a nice and secure (VPN), more permanent connection between friends and family especially.
    If Gbridge LLC has been handing out free software as its only product for five years, where is their income? (No mention of personal use, or not business use; only free.)

Just curious.

Bruce

P.S. I like that their license is signed by "Ty Coon, President of Vice": http://www.gbridge.com/legal/License.txt

I guess they got attention deficit before reading all the way to the bottom, like everyone else
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-03-04 at 15:34.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect that GBridge came from the Google employee 20% side project initiative. Otherwise I don't see how they could be so closely affiliated with Google, requiring a gmail account and using the GTalk servers for authentication.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    And yet the bottom line on their home page says, "Gbridge is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Google Inc."

Bruce

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. Hopefully we can try out Team Viewer tonight.