Thanks

How to transfer HDD to new PC using Acronis.

I want to transfer my old HDD to a new PC, they are both Intel chipped, using Acronis True Image Premium 2014 but I'm not to sure how to proceed. I've put all the new drivers in a folder along with the back up image of the old PC on an external drive. Do I boot the new machine with the Acronis boot disc? I know I'll have to activate Windows 7 but I'm not interested in doing a clean install.

Would it be easier to swap out the new HDD with the old one?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would ask this on the Acronis site, their support staff will know the exact steps.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Bh, hello.

This would be the easy way out. You might get to re-validate Windows as now it is pretty tight. I hope that both your drives are either PATA or SATA. Let us know how you succeed or not.

Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I would ask this on the Acronis site, their support staff will know the exact steps.

cheers, Paul
    No because the support is bloody useless!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Bh, hello.

This would be the easy way out. You might get to re-validate Windows as now it is pretty tight. I hope that both your drives are either PATA or SATA. Let us know how you succeed or not.

Jean.
    That's the solution I was thinking of but from what I can gather it can be a bit hit & miss. I thought about deleting the old drivers and then installing the new ones off a pen-drive.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No because the support is bloody useless!
    It would have been useful if you'd mentioned that in your first post.

The Help in my copy of TI has detailed steps under "Recovering your system with the help of Acronis Universal Restore". It seems pretty comprehensive.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You're trying to restore an acronis backup? Or just transfer an entire image from one computer to another?

Usually having all the drives in the same machine is the easiest thing. That's the way I've always done it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    You're trying to restore an acronis backup? Or just transfer an entire image from one computer to another?

Usually having all the drives in the same machine is the easiest thing. That's the way I've always done it.
    Can't decide which is the easiest....Putting the old HDD in the new machine, then booting to it or using Acronis to boot the new machine and restore the old image on the new HDD....Then using a pen-drive with the new drivers on....Then reactivating Windows....... I know all the "geeks" are itching to say a clean install is best but I don't want the hassle, which is my prerogative, and I'm bored with spending days getting a new machines running to my satisfaction.....Life is much too short!

Thanks
    First of all, if your intent is to transfer an OEM installation from its original machine to a new machine, the only way that could be considered a legal transfer is if the new machine has the same OEM version of Windows preinstalled, and your intent is just to avoid the hassle of setting up the new machine. If the OEM Windows versions are not the same, the process is outside the legal use terms of the OEM license.

If, on the other hand, both machines were OEM preinstalled with the same version of Windows, OR if the image you wish to transfer is of a Retail version of Windows, there is a method that will work. Bear in mind, the old installation (regardless of whether it is OEM or Retail), must be completely uninstalled from the original PC, or the transfer still falls outside the legal use terms of the license agreement.

The above conditions being met, this procedure will work, although it may require a call to MS for validation. You will need all requisite drivers on a separate thumb drive or CD disc. It also may be to tedious, but it will work, so whether or not you wish to try it is entirely up to you. I've used it with success (no failures) a few times. If you don't care for the method or have qualms about it, don't try it--simple as that. I don't need a critique of the method; I know it works for me.

First, boot normally into Windows in the installation you wish to transfer, log in as a member of the Administrators group. then open Device Manager.

One by one, UNINSTALL each and every device in Device Manager, but DO NOT restart as instructed. Just go down the list uninstalling, and click the "restart later" button on each device. Once all the hardware is uninstalled, make a fresh drive image. I am unfamiliar with Acronis, but I assume it has the capability to use a boot disc from which one may create an image. Create a fresh image without booting the PC. You will want the image without installed drivers for any hardware.

Now restore this driverless image to your new machine, and boot normally. Windows will be slow to boot, as it will be trying to find drivers for the newly discovered hardware. Use your thumb drive (or CD disc) to point Windows to the correct drivers for the new hardware. You may need a couple of restarts during this process, but when Windows again begins looking for drivers, point it to your driver media.

Once all drivers are installed, do a final restart to see if Windows has managed to validate itself. If it hasn't, a call to Microsoft should take care of that issue.

Again, this may seem too tedious for you; if so, then don't try it. It works for me. Beyond that, YMMV.

Beyond that, you might consider using a bit of deference and decorum for those who are offering to help you in your situation; we all mean well, after all.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanks for the instructions.
    Last edited by satrow; 2014-03-07 at 09:20. Reason: Life's to short to explain.